Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High Beam switch...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beam switch...

not sure if this is more of an appearance forum question...but i'll let the mods decide.

i use my high beams about 3 times a year, and the last time i noticed they were difficult to switch on. basically i had to pull on the lever in just the right way. but they worked.

today i tried them and NOTHING. they don't flash, flicker or anything...neither one.

wondering if the switch finally went bad in the steering column.

what would the easiest way to jump the switch to see if it IS that? is there an easy way to follow the wires? how do i jump them to close the switch?

off the top of my head i don't even know if there is a fuse just for the Highs...i'll check that also.

its dark and i don't feel like messing with a flash light...so i'll ask this tonight and see what i can find/learn tommorrow.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

geez....no love except for the mod moving it (thanks by the way).

TTT
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed that mine slipped out of place a while back. It was great for a while because when I would flash both highs and lows would be on. Then it finally stopped working so I removed it and had a difficult time putting it back into place.

Basically, when you pull on the lever, it pushes a little plastic piece against the high beam actuator rod (dimmer switch actuator rod). You'll need to take off the plastic piece by the tilt lever and remove the piece under that to be able to check if the plastic piece is out of line or if the actuator rod is not working. I'll do a write-up this weekend since I need to replace my dad's.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

cool.

i've already got it wired so that the highs are on with the lows. i plan to check those wire connections before it tear apart the column.

i've considered putting a foot switch on the car...like the old cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I wanted to go the foot-switch route as well but it isn't very practical. I love it on my dad's old Chevy. I just hate when something breaks and I can't find a way to fix it.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

or you don't realize its broken till you NEED it

Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

I just had my switch crap out and found this thread, I have noticed that the spring holding the plastic piece, (the one that actually does the switching) has broken. Does anyone know where to find a replacement spring? All I can find is the GM nuber for the base plate. If I have to, I will get the base plate but I am unsure if it comes with the whole assembly. I also need a diagram or pic of the spring layout if I just get the spring as I am not 100% sure of how it's assembled and I don't really want to have to take this joker apart a lot. Thanks for your help!