Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

wiring autometer gauges...unique problem..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wiring autometer gauges...unique problem..

ok so the car is a V6 car with LS motor swap so the body harness/fuse panel are all from the V6. it was a no option car also. im trying to wire up some cobalt gauges and have searched and all i can find is hooking it up to the ACCY port on the fuse panel but my fuse panel does not have any wires going to these ports. i do have a BAT and IGN port and which all are working correctly and then i have an unused RADIO ACCY port which only has one thick brown wire going to it and when using a test light i cant get any reading car off or on. where can i hook up all 3 gauges power supply wires to for a switched power source? can i use the IGN port? if so how many amps are coming out of there and will i risk damaging my gauges?

i know i can tap into my lighting switch for the illumination and the ground is obvious. my only problem is the switched power source and how to do it safely so i dont risk ruining my gauges.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could find and tap the ignition wire in the column for the switch power source. Or you could tap into the one the radio uses. I think the one in the column would be better though.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want to try n avoid tapping into as many wires as possible. if thats my only way then anyone know which wire i should be looking for? anyone know whats the deal with the IGN port on the fuse panel? can i use that? should i wire in an inline fuse? what amp?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone???
Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to use that ign port in the fuse box without any problem. If there isn't a way to fuse it in the box, then just run an inline fuse. It shouldn't be that many amps anyways