Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

opinions on this setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on this setup

so i just figured i would ask cause i dont know everything about stereos, but here it goes.

Installed as my HU i have an Alpine CDA 9851

now for the door speakers i am planning on buying Rainbow SLX 265 6.5" components(speakers, tweeters, crossovers)

for the sail panels i am planning on buying Rainbow W 165 SLC NG 6.5" midrange speakers, probably also with midrange cross overs

then from there they will be amped with a Cadence FXA4100 600w 4-channel amp

and for the sub i was planning on making a stealth box for the hole in the side of the hatch area and using a 10" Rainbow Hammer woofer, using a cadence 300w amp.

what do you think?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

never heard of this Rainbow product
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Launching!

It should sound great, Raimbow is top notch stuff, if you haven't bought the equipment take a look at the Image Dynamics CTX65's,
Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just make sure the stealth box is the right amount of space the sub requires. Keep in mind the components and sub are designed for SQ not SPL. I dont know if the 9851 can go active or not but it may be also something you might consider.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
Just make sure the stealth box is the right amount of space the sub requires. Keep in mind the components and sub are designed for SQ not SPL. I dont know if the 9851 can go active or not but it may be also something you might consider.
yea im trying to find a suitable sub box, something that wont take up my cargo space, either that or find plans to build one to the right specs. what do you mean by go active? its an older HU but i figured i would use it cause i had it in my last car, and what do you mean by SQ and not SPL, sorry i havent heard these terms before.

Last edited by OnyxBlackZ28; 05-07-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OnyxBlackZ28
yea im trying to find a suitable sub box, something that wont take up my cargo space, either that or find plans to build one to the right specs. what do you mean by go active? its an older HU but i figured i would use it cause i had it in my last car, and what do you mean by SQ and not SPL, sorry i havent heard these terms before.
SQ = sound quality
SPL = sound pressure level

active means using the headunit as the crossover and not using the passive crossover normally included with components or 2/3 ways

and it seems like you have all top quality components, I am not sure what there is to ask about in that concern
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Generally the boxes that you buy are not assembled as well as you can make them. Sometimes caulk is missing, wrong diameter or depth, leakage etc. If you can make one yourself its usually better. That way you have the exact dimensions and shape you require. Rainbow is good equipment, but install and tuning is always the most important aspect of how your system sounds.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6Drop
Generally the boxes that you buy are not assembled as well as you can make them. Sometimes caulk is missing, wrong diameter or depth, leakage etc. If you can make one yourself its usually better. That way you have the exact dimensions and shape you require. Rainbow is good equipment, but install and tuning is always the most important aspect of how your system sounds.
I thought there was someone on here that sold custom made fiberglass stealth boxes.
You had your color choice and hole choice and it was about 150 or so
I just cannot remember who it was.