Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System went out, seems to be an amp problem...

Old 05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default System went out, seems to be an amp problem...

So my system just went out lastnight and im pretty sure its just the AMP.

Ive checked the fuse on the power wire, it still looks good. I had to make my own "remote" wire. Since i bought it used from a friend, and i never got the actual "remote" wire that came with the amp. I used the blue wire thats provided in the amp kit, just so you guys know i didnt rig it up with some other wire lol. Ive had it working since december of last year and for some reason it just went out lastnight. I messed with the remote wire lastnight by taking it off and putting it back on and at 1st touch, it would light the amp up for a second (rockford fosgate logo on the amp lights up in blue when turned on) then went back off....Could it just be the "remote" wire that i have, somewhere in the wiring it messed up or something?

Its an old rockford fosgate 1000watt amp. I dont think the amp just gave out...

Any suggestions on what to do??
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

take a multi meter and check the voltage at the terminals for the amp...make sure you have 12 volts going to your amp. same with the remote wire...with your head unit on there should be 12 volts on that to....when your testing put your meter leads on the spot where you have your ground so that way you know if your ground is still making connection as well. also as far as the fuse looking good, check it. set your meter to check for continuity and check the fuse that way. i've had a brand new fuse that looked good but it wasn't making a solid connection inside the brass cap of the fuse.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, ill give that a try.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Did you check the fuses on the amp itself?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well i got it fixed, it was actually my ground wire that came loose. When i removed the stealth sub and checked the amp and all the wiring i saw that it was no longer tightened down. I guess having it bolted down underneath the subwoofer, wasnt a good place to put it. So i moved it over to another existing bolt near the trunk latch. Works fine now!

Search this Thread