Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Well Sub Box Amp Mount Locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Sub Box Amp Mount Locations

Where are you mounting the amp with a drop in sub box? I'm going to 2 12s in a well mounted box that I'm building and I'd like to have the amp hidden, but I want it to get enough air that is won't burn up. Its not huge by any means, its an Alpine 400 watt amp. I was thinking of mounting it where the spare tire was, but am concerned with the small space and adjusting the amp might be a PITA

Post pics if you have them
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a rear well box with 2-12's and up until recently had the amp mounted to the bottom of it with no problems. Ran it that way for four years.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by '00_Z
I have a rear well box with 2-12's and up until recently had the amp mounted to the bottom of it with no problems. Ran it that way for four years.
I'd do that but I have something against mounting an amp on the box. I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with doing it, but I would think the vibrations and everything would effect the amp. Nothing against how you had yours, but I have never mounted an amp on a box.

I think I'm going to mount it in the spare tire location since I will have some MDF left over. I have the plans for my box so I will be sure to post measurements when its all done if it turns out good LOL
Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 different friends with fbodys both with 1000+watt rms sub setups and 4 channels

one had both in the spare tire well, other had one in spare tire one under sub box never an issue
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I'd do that but I have something against mounting an amp on the box. I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with doing it, but I would think the vibrations and everything would effect the amp. Nothing against how you had yours, but I have never mounted an amp on a box.

I think I'm going to mount it in the spare tire location since I will have some MDF left over. I have the plans for my box so I will be sure to post measurements when its all done if it turns out good LOL
No prob man, I actually did a rear seat delete and now have the amp mounted where the rear pass. seat was, mainly because I pull the box out on occasion and this makes it easier to do. Definitely get some pics!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

You could do something like this with a some mdf, or plywood in the spare tire area.