Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light Question

I experienced the dirty key cylinder on my ’99, causing the Security light to come on. Of course, then the car would not start. A rag sprayed with contact cleaner on the end of a thin screwdriver solved the no start. But that dang Security light won’t go away.

The guy that tweaked the computer after some mild mods claims he cannot turn it off.

Pontiac tried and said the code to reset goes in but the light won’t turn off. They want to replace the IP. That sounds absurd.

Oh great gurus of our beloved F-body’s, are they yanking my chain? Is there a better, easier, cheaper solution?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The guy who tweaked your PCM is correct and the dealer is an idiot. The VATS system is controlled entirely by the BCM which isn't programmable. The light on the dash is simply a light - it goes on when it gets voltage from the BCM and off when it doesn't. The instument cluster has nothing to do with it other than holding the bulb in place.

It is possible you have a defective BCM. You can replace it but there are a couple of other things to try first. Try cleaning the ignition cylinder again and cleaning the contacts on the ignition key or using your spare key.

You could do a VATS bypass. This costs less than $5 if you know about resistors and can do your own soldering or you can buy a bypass kit for between $15 and $50.

Of course, you could always remove the bulb.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Take the under dash off and look for two thin wires going up to your ignition switch. They are wrapped loosley in an orange gromet or whatever you call it..

check those wires for any breaks or cuts. I haven't had the problem myself, but I've heard they do come loose easily?

I've personally bypassed my VATS system. Not much to it..
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

I got a similar problem althought it just happens with no consistency I will get the VATS light car will not turn on but I will leave it alone for about 10 mins and it goes away on its own and off I go. Definitely a bummer when it happens during bracket races. Anyone with any ideas on what it could be
Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the key is not fully seated in the lock the security light will come on.
This can prevent the car from starting, or it can cause the light to stay on.
When I listen to my stereo while parked I tug the key so the door ajar bell will not go off.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The key has a resistor value built in to the pellet(one of 15 set values GM used for VATS) and the BCM is looking for that value or it will light the security light.Lets say the key is 1000 ohms( or 1K) then you stick the key in the cylinder and read the resistance at the end of the wires of the lock cylinder and if it varies more than 5 ohms, the cylinder is going bad and that is your problem.You would measure this at the black plug at bottom of steering column:[IMG][/IMG]

If the resistance is good there,then you need to check for the resistance at the BCM as you may be losing it along the way to the BCM.

Important question is: do you know how to use an ohmeter?