Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MP3 player into Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I will probably tear into it later this next week.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You must have a CD changer for the external mod to work because the CD changer port on the HU will not activate unless it detects the changer.

The internal mod of Jason's will work without a CD in the drive.

The sound quality of various connections is (worst to best):
AM radio
Wireless FM modulator
Wired FM modulator
Cassette adapter
CD port
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You must have a CD changer for the external mod to work because the CD changer port on the HU will not activate unless it detects the changer.

The internal mod of Jason's will work without a CD in the drive.

The sound quality of various connections is (worst to best):
AM radio
Wireless FM modulator
Wired FM modulator
Cassette adapter
CD port
see i tore my HU apart and it didn't look like anything in all the other pictures. the only thing i saw close was a clip of wires, all red except one blue one, and i counted the number of wires in the pictures and it matched mine, but i didn't wanna chance it. i'll have to take it apart sometime again and snap a pic of it.

i'd LOVE to just take out that blank cd and have it activate just on the ipod.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

right on, so you did this mod on your camaro wtomlinson?

anybody know about how different the trans am monsoon head unit is internally to the head unit in jason novak's camaro?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Launching!

yeah the pictures i posted up were of my car. i wanna know how to do the internal one but mine looked different than anything i could find on here.

only this time, i routed the wire behind the HU instead of trying to keep it plugged in up top like in the picture.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is my stereo

it has the three input jacks, so does this mean that my car originally had a cd changer?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

All f-body head units came with the external source port whether or not they had a changer (or were even capable of supporting a changer). Monsoon-equipped f-bodies even went so far as to have the changer harness already installed and plugged into the HU regardless of whether a changer was present.

The port was not necessarily for a CD changer. Other GM models that used the same head units were available with an external cassette tape player that connected through that port.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

All f-body head units came with the external source port whether or not they had a changer (or were even capable of supporting a changer). Monsoon-equipped f-bodies even went so far as to have the changer harness already installed and plugged into the HU regardless of whether a changer was present.

The port was not necessarily for a CD changer. Other GM models that used the same head units were available with an external cassette tape player that connected through that port.
How then can I find out if I had a factory CD changer originally equipped car?

The previous owner had a custom system in there and when I bought it he removed everything before handing it over to me, and put back the OEM HU and a few blown speakers, it sucked, but oh well.

I know for sure he had a system in there because I have found cut ground straps in the trunk and a few thick speaker wire cables in the panels and some other random stereo equipment in the spare tire compartment.

any ideas?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Look for the external CD changer option code U1S on the option label on the door jamb.

I'm curious why it would be important to find out if the car once had a changer...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look for the external CD changer option code U1S on the option label on the door jamb.

I'm curious why it would be important to find out if the car once had a changer...
well then instead of tapping into the wiring, I can just slap an adapter in the cd changer or tap into the changer harness
Old 06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If it's a 97 and it's a CD head unit then it did not have a changer - the CD HU didn't support an external changer that year. If it has a cassette HU then it doesn't matter if it had a changer, it is changer compatible so the auxiliary input adapters such as the GM9-AUX will work.

The only time you have to actually have an installed CD changer is for the PAC AAI-GM9 auxiliary input adapter or if you want to patch into the external wiring at the changer port yourself. All of the other adapters (PIE GM9-AUX, etc.) require that the head unit be CD changer compatible but not to have a changer installed.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

well that sucks, thanks for the info white bird.

anybody know which wires to tap into in the ribbon for an mp3 jack?

or a better question, do the later monsoons for the pontiacs have a ribbon or wiring?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Hey Everyone... Sry in advance if I'm repeating what seems to be a constant problem, but I'm still fairly unsure. WhiteBird, I've read so many of your posts, unfortunately too late after already purchasing a PAC AAI-GM9. I connected it to my 2000 Camaro SS monsoon headunit w/ cd aux button, and it even had the 9pin cable already hooked up to the back of the headunit, but I do not have an external cd changer in the trunk, just the single cd player in the headunit (so why did it already have a harness connected?). obviously, the pac doesnt work. so just to clarify, will the GM9-AUX definitely work in my single cd headunit? also, do I then lose use of my single cd player?

and if all this is correct, does anyone w/ an external cd player want to buy the pac I just bought that doesnt work with my car?? haha... but seriously. let me know.

thanks!

~J
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

All Monsoon systems came with the CD changer cable even if the changer itself wasn't factory installed. This made it easy to offer the changer as a dealer installed option.

Yes, the GM9-AUX will work in your 2000 SS. The PAC AAI-GM9 did not include the circuitry to trick the HU into thinking there was a changer attached so it requires an existing changer in order to be recognized by the HU. The GM9-AUX has the necessary circuitry to respond to the HU as a changer so it works without one installed.

No, installing the adapter doesn't affect use of your built-in CD player. Press the CD/Aux button once to select the CD and a second time to select whatever you have connected to the adapter. The button then switches back and forth between the two every time it is pressed.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Hey WhiteBird,

thanks again for your quick response about the iPod connect! I have one more question maybe you might know, you seem to have your audio know-how down. Is there a good specific sub that I can add to my 2000 SS (maybe an 8inch or so to fit in that drivers side space in the trunk where I guess a 12disc changer would go)? A friend of mine said he thought they made one that could go directly from the back of the headunit w/o having to buy another amp? or would I have to tap into the monsoon amp? the rest of my whole system is stock (except 2 new front speakers on the way, 62.9i's that I saw people modified to work). If there is a decent sub that i can easily add w/o having to modify my entire system thatd be perrrfect. thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

There are several makers of a box that goes in that cubby space to the left of the t-top storage area. It's called a "stealth box" and it will comfortably hold a 10" sub and even some 12" subs. Check with Kee Audio (a sponsor here) or a company called subthump.

There is no way to run a sub properly off of the factory system without a separate amp. I suppose you could pull the wiring from the sail panel subs but I don't think you'd like the results. You can get a Line Output Converter (LOC) from any audio shop or even WalMart for around $20 to convert the speaker level signal to line level for input to an amp via RCA cables.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

again, thanks for your infinite knowledge and quick response... one lasst thing. does kee audio sell just the box or a sub to go with it? if not, is there a specific 10in, and a specific amp for the sub that you recommend with the stock system and how does the amp integrate with the stock system? does the LOC you talked about take the signal away from one of the speakers? or is there a way to connect another amp just for the sub from the back of the hu? (havnt really done too many all out systems with more than just the headunit and 4 speakers so youre really helpin me out)
Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Kee Audio can sell you just about everything you need... stealth box, sub, amp, etc. Contact Ian - he's very helpful and has personally tested most of the stuff he sells. He can give you options that work well in almost any price range.

The LOC can be spliced into the speaker wires without removing signal from any existing speakers. Without the LOC, there is no way to connect an amp/sub to the factory system because it doesn't have separate line level output from the head unit (unlike most aftermarket head units).
Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
kinda hard to see in the pictures, but i used a piece of cat5 (i used the solid orange, blue, and green wires). i took some of the little cable splicers that you just crimp on without cutting, and spliced the following into the harness with the red clip:

orange cat5 --> brown-white striped
blue cat5 --> black-white striped
green cat5 --> green-white striped

on the other end, where the $1 radio jack is, i soldered the orange and green cat5 to the bottom two clips, and the blue cat5 to the side.

i took a blank cd, recorded some blank sound (just clicked record on Window's sound recorder and kept quiet for about 30 seconds), and copied this "audio" track till i couldn't fit it any more onto a cd, and burned the cd like you would a normal audio cd. took all my cds out of the changer except that one, and it just plays and plays and plays and keeps looping, this way you don't hear anything else over the radio.

when i did this the first time, i had other cds in there, and i could barely hear them over my ipod, but nonetheless you could hear it. hope this helps

this is where i had it before, but the cable got pulled a lot, and the jack wasn't secured in the plastic because it was thicker than i thought when i drilled the hole, so i couldn't put the fastener on the end. i've since tucked it behind the stereo so the audio cable is just always plugged in:

im planning on doing this on my car this weekend and after looking at the diagram in the monsoon FAQ sticky i see you tapped your ground into the black and white stripe wire but according to the diagram that is the audio return wire, the ground is the solid black wire, does it make a difference if i wire my ground wire into the solid black wire or the black and white stripe wire(audio return) like you did???
Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

i didn't know that the b&w striped wire was audio return. the original post i went off of said it was the ground. i suppose you could try doing a solid ground wire. either way you got a 50/50 chance of it working. if it doesn't work just swap the wires and tap into the striped one.

i mean with the way i have it wired, there is no problems with the sound quality. if you try a solid black wire and it works, try comparing it to the striped wire and see which one sounds better, or if there's even a difference.

Quick Reply: MP3 player into Monsoon?