Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Getting a system put in my car today...couple questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a system put in my car today...couple questions!

So I've been surfing through about six pages on here..and came across some stuff that kinda confused me..

I work at Best Buy, and today I'm going over to this store my manager used to work at because his old store has this guy that is a guru with car electronics...basically, my plan was to put in 2 10" subs, amps, headunit, and speakers...

my questions are..

What size are the speakers in our cars?
Do I need any special type of speakers?
Anyone have pics of subs W/O stealth box?
And any other suggestions in general?

Any input would help, thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

anybody?!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DobsZ28
anybody?!
Easy killer it takes longer than a half hour usually for a reply...

Speakers are 6.5 components in the front, 6.5" bass drivers in the sails, and 4" in the rear. Assuming you have the factory monsoon setup, the ohm loads are kinda wierd for the monsoon amp with the sail bass drivers and the front. I believe the sail panel runs off a 2 ohm from the factory, and i don't remember what the front is. They should know about it at best buy. Pretty well any speakers can work...

I have a box in the back of my camaro, no pics tho. Its just a dual 10 box, sitting in the trunk well.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gordo78
Easy killer it takes longer than a half hour usually for a reply...

Speakers are 6.5 components in the front, 6.5" bass drivers in the sails, and 4" in the rear. Assuming you have the factory monsoon setup, the ohm loads are kinda wierd for the monsoon amp with the sail bass drivers and the front. I believe the sail panel runs off a 2 ohm from the factory, and i don't remember what the front is. They should know about it at best buy. Pretty well any speakers can work...

I have a box in the back of my camaro, no pics tho. Its just a dual 10 box, sitting in the trunk well.

lol sorry, i'm leaving in a couple hours and was gettin a little bit antsy...4" speakers in the rear hatch? they look like 6x9's..and in the sails, you mean right where the back seats are? (sorry, prolly a stupid question)
Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

you have 6.5" components in the doors (woofer and tweeters are powered separately), make sure you don't replace them with a regular coaxial speaker because you lose that feature and plus the crossover is already built into the monsoon amplifier. So please replace the front speakers with components or get coaxial speakers where you can separate the wires in the speaker to wire them up separate since the stock amplifier has a channel dedicated to the tweeter and one dedicated to the woofer.
The sail panels (next to back seats) are 6.5" woofers. I doubt best buy will have a good replacement for these speakers. Those speakers are used mainly for bass, so if you are adding 2 10s then you can totally leave those speakers out of the car or if you want then put in some coaxials since I doubt best buy will have nice 6.5" midbass drivers. Or just don't upgrade them and let them be.
The rear speakers in the hatch are 4", the speaker cover might look like 6x9s, but the speakers are 4". Do not waste your money on upgrading those speakers, they are for rear fill only and actually take away from the overall sound quality. Remove them, throw them away, and you will never look back.

I am currently running from CDT components in the doors with a 121W x 2 channel amplifier and a 10" alpine Type R subwoofer (500W amplifier), no sail panel speakers, and no hatch speakers and it sounds great. One thing you need to remember is sound quality is not having the most/biggest speakers possible but using the right combination.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

If I replace the amp, will I still need to stick with the 2 ohm/coaxial speakers?

Thanks for all the help guys, don't wanna screw up my system.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

The main questions are "what speakers do you want to use?" "what amplifiers do you want to use?" "how much money are you willing to spend?"

After you answer those, then we can help.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
The main questions are "what speakers do you want to use?" "what amplifiers do you want to use?" "how much money are you willing to spend?"

After you answer those, then we can help.
Well I'm going to this guy who my manager recommended because he used to work with him. I was going to replace all the speakers, most likely with alpines or infiniti's. i haven't decided in terms if i want two ten's or 1, but the sub will most likely be an alpine type-r or type-x. in terms of amps, i was going to get one for the sub, and one for the speakers, with a headunit.

do camaro's rattle pretty bad with subs?

Last edited by DobsZ28; 05-28-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: privacy
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditch the monsoon **** do components in the doors coaxials in the back seat and ditch the hatch speakers
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wooo, another best buy guy on here! store 520 here, and redoing my stereo for the thrid time since ive been employed.

Best stuff you can get at your discount is the type R stuff, thats what ive got all the way around. we cant get type X or infinity kappa perfect stuff, so type r will be fine.

like said, forget the hatch speakers and just do the four closest to you. component up front and and coax in the back, pick up that alpine amp that retails for like $204.99, i forget the model number.

ive memorized what our discounts are in that department, so pm me if you need anything else.

and about the rattling thing, they can. If i had to do it all over again, id get dynamat first, before i did anything else. with my car being almost 10 years old and having 115K+ miles on it, rattles develop over time, and a big system speeds that process up

Last edited by RedRallyeZ; 05-27-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
wooo, another best buy guy on here! store 520 here, and redoing my stereo for the thrid time since ive been employed.

Best stuff you can get at your discount is the type R stuff, thats what ive got all the way around. we cant get type X or infinity kappa perfect stuff, so type r will be fine.

like said, forget the hatch speakers and just do the four closest to you. component up front and and coax in the back, pick up that alpine amp that retails for like $204.99, i forget the model number.

ive memorized what our discounts are in that department, so pm me if you need anything else.

and about the rattling thing, they can. If i had to do it all over again, id get dynamat first, before i did anything else. with my car being almost 10 years old and having 115K+ miles on it, rattles develop over time, and a big system speeds that process up

responded to your pm...thanks for the heads up