Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with new system, audio newB

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new system, audio newB

I am getting ready to install a new system in my 95 Firehawk. I went to my local shop as I don't know crap about audio systems and got them to give me a recommendation, here it is;

Kenwood KDC MP142 (Only requirement I had was it HAD to have red backlighting)

Stealthbox with JL Audio 10w0 sub
JL Audio TR 650 CSi components speakers (Doors)
JL Audio TR 650 CXi Full range speakers (Sail Panel)
JL Audio G6600 6 channel amp

They said I would be better off to go with a better HU that had 2 Preouts?? But I insisted on red back lighting to match the dash lighting.

They recommended eliminating the hatch speakers all together, does that sound right??

Any opinions on this system? Suggestions for anything better? I really don't know crap about audio systems, but want a really good sounding system. This is the last thing I need to do to the car and don't want to screw up or go in the wrong direction. Any help, advice, or opinions would be really appreciated. What would you do or have you done different???
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, remove the hatch speakers, I will sound better with them out.
Also, alpine head units have red backlighting and they look great in f-body interiors.
also, check out keeaudio.com
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought there also was an alpine with red buttons, and they are right more preouts will be more ideal. sounds like a very solid setup, and yes ditch the rear hatch speakers
Old 05-29-2009, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hatch speaker argument has been debated a million times, its really personal preference, aka what sounds good to YOU. Do you insist on going with all JL audio stuff? Those are great but for the money you could probably get something a little cheaper that sounds better. I also wouldnt go with a full range speaker in the sail panel, go with a midbass driver or sub, the 6.5" bazooka subs I have sound amazing and would really compliment a bigger sub. And why a 6 channel amp? With a good 5 channel amp you could power your doors, sails, and sub. Talk to Kee Audio, im sure he can point you in the right direction.