Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Started the upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started the upgrades...

Just recently bought a 2000 Camaro Z28 with all the stock audio systems (including the standard blown out sail panel speakers and a non working left-front speaker)... There was clearly an amp and other system in the car previously as there is amp and speaker wires running to the trunk....

I started the upgrade today... by ordering a humount.com mounting plate. Big step huh :-)

I have a REALLY good audio place down the road so I am going to use them to do an install.

Plan is:
10" sub in a stealth box in the standard trunk space on the drivers side.
Mount an amp on an amp rack below the trunk catch so it is not visible and the t-tops can still be put in slots in the trunk
Replace all the speakers
Put in a new head unit (obviously)

Components will likely all be Kicker since I have had such good luck with them before in previous vehicles.

I haven't decided on the head unit yet beyond "must support my IPOD and automatically mute when phone calls come in". Suggestions welcome - prefer a red color illumination or color.

Am I missing anything?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sound deadening?

Make sure you ( or the shop) do the BIG 3 upgrade (at least 4 ga wire....1 ga is better ).
Old 05-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Project
Sound deadening?

Make sure you ( or the shop) do the BIG 3 upgrade (at least 4 ga wire....1 ga is better ).

Good news is the BIG 3 has been done by the look of it.

Sound deadening... with the stealth box and amp in the trunk I'll probably just need to do the trunk area? Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

You should be fine with just doing the trunk area and over the gas tank as well. If you decide to put speakers in the door then you should sound deaden the doors also. I would go with the Dynamat Xtreme as it works very well and is fairly light compared to other brands.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Moving forward slowly....

Informed the HUmount has shipped :-)

Oh and I upgraded the Trailblazers Head Unit and Speakers... It amazing the crappy system and speakers GM installed in these vehicles. They look like total garbage when they come out and probably did when installed as well. New system isn't anything special, but it sounds SO much better than stock. Decent Clarion head with mid-range Jensen speakers.

More importantly the missus is happy - especially with the Ipod/USB stick/AUX in capabilities of the new head unit.