Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replaced window motor but it's running in reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs down replaced window motor but it's running in reverse...

Just so you all know, I've done this replacement before on the drivers side so I'm not new to this. I bought a refurbished window motor for my passenger window...installed it and it worked perfectly EXCEPT my down button went up and my up button made the motor go down. I cursed a bit, checked my connections and tried my drivers buttons to see if it had the same effect. The drivers side buttons did the exact same thing. I took the motor out and got another refurbished one and what do you know....it does the same damn thing. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this other than spend another $30+ on a new motor?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it the same brand motor both times?

Sounds like it is wired backwards internally. Heck even my el cheapo from ebay was wired right.

you could swap the wires in the connector.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Two refurbished motors work in reverse? That is really odd. I guess you can try a third or just swap the wires in the replacement motor's connector to see if it starts working in the correct direction.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is go get an autozone one with a lifetime warranty. Then if something like that happens, pull it out and swap in a new one for no more cost out of pocket.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Both motors were the same brand, the second one was in better shape tho. Yeah this is really annoying...I guess I'll just get a new one.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Which motor are you buying? If you are getting the Siemens - its a reman. Go with the Doorman version. (It has a different casing design and should be NEW.)

If it still runs backward, maybe someone reversed your wires when a previous bad motor was installed? If so, you can use a terminal removal tool or a very small screwdriver to remove the terminals from the connector housing and switch them.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt there a way you can put them in backwards and that happens?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know of anyway to put them in backwards, they only have one mounting position. I'm not sure what brand I will get...i'll probably just see what advance has.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
Which motor are you buying? If you are getting the Siemens - its a reman. Go with the Doorman version. (It has a different casing design and should be NEW.)

If it still runs backward, maybe someone reversed your wires when a previous bad motor was installed? If so, you can use a terminal removal tool or a very small screwdriver to remove the terminals from the connector housing and switch them.

The motors were still original and looked like crap from the long years I guess.