Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

steering wheel audio controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel audio controls

i'm putting in a pioneer stereo, but dont wanna pay the $75 for the adapter for the steering wheel audio controls to work. the paint is coming off of the buttons anyway. does anyone know where i can possibly get inserts to replace the controls so it doesnt look like i have holes in my steering wheel? or any other suggestions?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you sure the paint is coming off, or are they just getting a layer of dirt on them? (The color should be molded in to the plastic.)

Try taking some dilute rubbing alcohol (there are usually several strengths you can get in the drug store) and rubbing down the buttons lightly. Then wipe with a cloth and let air dry for a couple of minutes. The buttons should then look like new.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you sure the paint is coming off, or are they just getting a layer of dirt on them? (The color should be molded in to the plastic.)

Try taking some dilute rubbing alcohol (there are usually several strengths you can get in the drug store) and rubbing down the buttons lightly. Then wipe with a cloth and let air dry for a couple of minutes. The buttons should then look like new.
I think he would be able to tell the difference between paint/dirt

The paint on my buttons is coming off as well, it has bits of black showing on the bottom and top from where the button is mostly pressed from

Was thinking of taking it to homedepot or lowes to match the paint butttt, not that important
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM

the plastic is showing. underneath is white. and the buttons are malfunctioning any way. i could buy buttons to replace them, but i'd rather not have them on the steering wheel. i was hoping that somebody could direct me somewhere that i could buy inserts to put in the holes on the steering wheel after i pulled them out
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM

the paint is peeling off
Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM

bump bump
Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your best bet is probably to go find a used steering wheel from a car that didn't come with the controls. (It will look a lot nicer that way.)
Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just finished doing some modding to my steering wheel controls.. It wasn't hard. Lemme know if this sort of idea works for your setup:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Here is my write up:

Post #73: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11648297-post73.html
Post #74: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11649194-post74.html
Post #85: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11707675-post85.html
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by officermartinez
I just finished doing some modding to my steering wheel controls.. It wasn't hard. Lemme know if this sort of idea works for your setup:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Here is my write up:

Post #73: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11648297-post73.html
Post #74: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11649194-post74.html
Post #85: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11707675-post85.html
that is exactly what i want it to look like. minus the yellow lol. wouldnt go wit my interior. but i had high hopes that some1 knew where i could find some covers or inserts to put right in. can u give me some details on how you wrapped the buttons with the material?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robster607
that is exactly what i want it to look like. minus the yellow lol. wouldnt go wit my interior. but i had high hopes that some1 knew where i could find some covers or inserts to put right in. can u give me some details on how you wrapped the buttons with the material?
Really, any kind of material will basically work. The more "stretchy" the material, the better. I pretty much covered what to do in my little write up but to actually hold the material in place, I used some TILE/FLOORING adhesive. That stuff will get you high so make sure you have a well ventilated area. The upside is, once the material is glued to the button control plastic, it is NOT coming loose.. EVER! I just took my time and glued the top part of the material down, against the button controls. Once that dried, then I cut the "overlapped" material into very small strips.. I lined the sides of the steering wheel controls with some more adhesive and then glued the small strips of material against the adhesive. To hold the sides in place to dry, I used some simple scotch tape.. I let it stand for a little while and once I was satisfied that the adhesive was dry, I removed the scotch tape from around the steering wheel controls. If I had any excess material hanging off of the buttons, I simply trimmed it off. Be sure when you "tuck" your new button cover back in, to use a tiny flathead screw driver (A jewelers flathead screw driver would be perfect) to re-tuck the material down and all around the edges, into the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: steering wheel audio controls