Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

In Dash Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Dash Video

I am looking at getting a new head unit that has video support and won't break the bank. I don't know if I want double din or flip up. I am liking the Jensen VM9213 and am in that price range any suggestions? I would like to be able to use steering wheel controls and iPod interface. Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Tell me something... Why do people want indash video in their cars? Certainly you couldn't be stupid enough to play videos while driving and why would you want to sit in the car to watch when you could be in the comfort of your living room?

You're not going to find double DIN in that $250 price range. Even without GPS, a decent double DIN is going to be at least $100 more than that (unless you buy used or get it out of somebody's trunk). Of course, Jensen is not exactly a top-of-the-line brand name (they were once but not anymore).
Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Tell me something... Why do people want indash video in their cars? Certainly you couldn't be stupid enough to play videos while driving and why would you want to sit in the car to watch when you could be in the comfort of your living room?\
Some people want to watch videos to kill time away from home. I have a JVC Exad (That im actually thinking of selling) that i used for a while to watch DvD's in my car. I never watched them when i was at home but my college schedual was stupid. I had a 4 Hour gap in between classes every other day. It would waste too much time going home and coming back so i just sat and watched some DvD's in between.

Also i go on alot of trips with my car and friends. I usually let my friends watch a DvD if they really want to, sound doesn't bother me.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FullBlack4thGen
Some people want to watch videos to kill time away from home. I have a JVC Exad (That im actually thinking of selling) that i used for a while to watch DvD's in my car. I never watched them when i was at home but my college schedual was stupid. I had a 4 Hour gap in between classes every other day. It would waste too much time going home and coming back so i just sat and watched some DvD's in between.
Okay, sounds reasonable. But I'm sure most of us aren't students anymore (we only had 8-tracks when I was in college) so what is the attraction for others?

I'm an old fart so I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Why weren't you studying during those breaks between classes?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Launching!

I am also still in school and have weird schedules and just want to have to screen if I ever need it if I have to wait around.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, sounds reasonable. But I'm sure most of us aren't students anymore (we only had 8-tracks when I was in college) so what is the attraction for others?

I'm an old fart so I'm going to play devil's advocate here... Why weren't you studying during those breaks between classes?

I wanted to have it when it first came out and to be one of the only one's to watch **** from the front seat. Of course I didn't actually watch it while I was driving but my friends did. I liked to get reactions out of other people when I had **** on the screen or whatever lol. But **** I just have a flip out now for the somewhat "wow" factor. That and I like having a bigger screen. I don't have movies playing because I love music too much to do that. Plus I don't have a nice sound system for nothing.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I have a Pioneer AVH-5000DVD in mine and I love it. I got it off egay for 375 with free shipping. I dont watch movies on it, but I wanted a 7" touch screen and didnt want a double din again. Check one out, I think the new version is a 5100 but I have been very happy with it.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

What about the cool factor? I'm with you WhiteBird, I'd rather be inside sitting in my living room watching a movie with my surround sound stereo but...being able to tell your friends, "Hey, check out this screen I just got put into my car!" appeals to some. Even car shows have a bunch of vehicles with in dash video.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of the younger crowd get fast food and eat in the car a lot with friends so its nice to have tv shows.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

When i wasn't watching the DvDs i was studding. . . .just not school work. . . .

What you were saying about your 8 track in college. When you had lunch you never went out to your car to just listing to a bit of music when you ate? Now the technology is advanced so you can get sound an video!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

so does anyone know of anything that would be descent quality it doesnt need anything but dvd and ipod no nav or cd or radio
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

If you're looking for something cheap then go with the Jensen flip out. It's around 300-400 dollars now.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Launching!

VR3 In-Dash DVD Receiver w/ 4" LCD & GPS, VRVD640G get this is on waltmart for like 350 has navigation plays dvds mp3s and all that good stuff, i also watch dvds in my car between classes!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Power Acoustic, Fahrenheit, etc. Best thing I'd do...hop online and see what's available in your price range. Kenwood makes a nice screen, little pricey though. Pioneer is also great, a bit on the expensive side but still a great choice.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

The Jensen units aren't bad. Just make sure you look up the bypass code so you can play DvD's with out your E-Brake on.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Launching!

imho Pioneer have a much better interface but Kenwood (due to Garmin) have a much nicer nav system

that said i have an Avic-N1 in my Eldorado, and a AVH-4400 in my Z28
Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FullBlack4thGen
The Jensen units aren't bad. Just make sure you look up the bypass code so you can play DvD's with out your E-Brake on.
Now why would you need to do that if you're only going to watch video between classes or while waiting for someone?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Farenheit TID-897NRB 7" flip out touch screen for $320.00 shipped. Has a lot of nice features like a 1gig hard drive built in for pictures, screen saver images, etc. Also has built in bluetooth, front aux input and front usb input.
Here's a picture of it: http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/s...g&target=_self
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now why would you need to do that if you're only going to watch video between classes or while waiting for someone?
Dont a lot of them block the navi display unless unlocked? Otherwise I agree, but if you couldnt see navi I'd definitely want to unlock it.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These units will play everything but DVD (unless bypassed which I will not get into) while driving just like it would function the radio, CD's, iPod, navigation etc. It's when the DVD input selection is made on the unit that it checks to see if the parking brake is engaged or whatever means the unit has of disengaging dvd video output. The other functions on the unit are not affected/wired to this so navigation and other options still operate while driving although some people have become so attached to their navigation and might as well be watching a movie while driving.

Quick Reply: In Dash Video