Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pioneer P800R question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer P8000R question

Hey guys, just wanting to check feasibility on an idea to see if its worth pursuing or not. I haven't yanked the deck yet to see what I have to work with and won't waste my time if someone can tell me it won't work (installed it about 10 yrs ago and haven't had it out since), but I would like to use the multi cd changer option as a place to plug my ipod into since the sound quality is so crappy with the FM options. All I would like to do it take the stereo wires from the harness and either convert to a headphone or rca plugs.

I've plugged my ipod right into the amp on my truck and that works fine since I only have highs and mids and 1 amp in it, but with 3 amps in my WS6 I need to run it through the head unit somehow in order to use the EQ etc.

Let me know what you guys think. I know the easy solution is to just go get a new head unit, but this one does everything I want (minus the ipod)...

Last edited by JB Rekit; 08-04-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Teching In

After doing some more searching, I found a thread by Jason Novak doing something similar to what I wanted to do. I also found a set of RCA cables that plugs into the disc changer input. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct cable for the P8000R? http://store.xmfanstore.com/pioprca.html

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I cant actually find the unit your talking about online, you sure that's the right model number? Also, do you happen to have a link to it?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FullBlack4thGen
I cant actually find the unit your talking about online, you sure that's the right model number? Also, do you happen to have a link to it?
Sorry, left out a zero in the title. It is a P8000R not P800R... I just corrected it.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm. . .i cant find the info im looking for on this unit so i really dont want to give you too much advice on what to do. You could always do an FM Modulator box for your Ipod. You would of coarse have to select music from your ipod not your face but its still good.

Here is one of the FM Modulator boxes im talking about:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMO...h=fm+modulator
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the link. I'll probably go ahead and yank the head unit to see if the CD changer plug I posted the link to might work and if so, order that. If it looks incorrect, I will probably either get the FM modulator or play with the wires on the CD changer input and see if I can't find the right and left +and- to tap into for some rca plug adapters.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Also anyone have any experience with this MP3/video player? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855501026
I currently just have a 8gb ipod nano and was thinking about getting something a little bigger since I have around 20+gb of music on my computer.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JB Rekit
Thanks for the link. I'll probably go ahead and yank the head unit to see if the CD changer plug I posted the link to might work and if so, order that. If it looks incorrect, I will probably either get the FM modulator or play with the wires on the CD changer input and see if I can't find the right and left +and- to tap into for some rca plug adapters.

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Also anyone have any experience with this MP3/video player? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855501026
I currently just have a 8gb ipod nano and was thinking about getting something a little bigger since I have around 20+gb of music on my computer.

Deffentally keep me updated! I like to hear how peoples systems come out and their reviews on products.

As for that Archos unit you posted, i dont know how i feel about that. I worked at circuit city for quite a while (half as a warehouse guy and other half as a car installer). During Christmas i would help handle the returns. The unit you linked is NOT the exact unit that we had a TON of returns of but its the same brand. I still remember this one girl who came back 3 times because the unit would freeze and never turn on again. Im not saying that they dident fix this but im not sure i personally would take my chances.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Just pulled the head unit out during lunch and the changer adapter looks to be the correct one so I'm going to go ahead and get that so I can hopefully maintain as much sound quality as possible wo having to run through FM.

Thanks for the heads up on the mp3 player as well. I'll probably keep looking around a bit then. The price for the size and what it could do was attractive, but I'll keep my eyes open for something else. Newegg is pretty good about taking things back and replacing etc, so I wouldn't feel to bad giving it a try if it turned out to be a dud.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well i hope the plug works for ya. You do know that FM Modulator and Transmitter are way different in sound quality though right?

As for newegg, their the best. I build computers and they always take back the parts that are faulty.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Teching In

That's what I've heard, but don't know that I've heard one in person. My adapter was only $25 and it should be an easy clean install, so hopefully it will work well.

I've looked through some more MP3 players and am thinking about just getting the 16 gig ipod touch. I can cull out a few gigs of music on my playlist

Anyone problem using two ipods on the same itunes that you know of?