Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What Components?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Components?

looking for impressions on a few different component speakers for my camaro. Price cap is $500, looking at the JL Audio C5 series, the Alpine Pro X, and the CDT HD 62 and ES 62iS speakers. suggestions, input please?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

$500 for what? 4 speakers and amp or...?

I love my polk db series. They play voices extremely well, and everything else very good for the $$$. This is on the monsoon amp too so they should be a lot better with a real amp. They cost like $110 a pair so that would leave you room for a good amp as well. Polk audio also says they can be coaxially mounted on their site.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

$500 for the front components only
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh, then never mind you can get better that polks (or at least better than their entry level). if you dont have an amp though, you'll need one. the more expensive ones usually need more juice. it would sound a lot better to spend $100 on an amp and its fuses and cords and all and put 400 toward the speakers.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of your 3: CDT HD 62

For your price range I would also look at Focal, Image Dynamics, Diamond Audio (HEX),
and Morel (Integra Ovation XO6).

And more expensive speakers don't necessarily need more power (depending on their sensitivity), but they can handle more power.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELL no. $500 and you recommend CDT? LOL

Look at Rainbow, DLS, Focal, etc. Boston Acoustics has some nice components when you get to that price range, too.

I'd go with Rainbow; they have some really nice low-profile 6.5"s with like 8mm of Xmax. It's insane. CS 265 X-Plain Pro. Will easily fit in our doors and you will have the best components out of anyone on this board that I know if, including me.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Rainbow or Focal or the JL Evolution ZR if you're a JL fan. I would personally go Focal with that budget. I have always loved the Utopias. The KR2s are in your price range and are great sounding components.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by dragonrage
HELL no. $500 and you recommend CDT? LOL

Look at Rainbow, DLS, Focal, etc. Boston Acoustics has some nice components when you get to that price range, too.

I'd go with Rainbow; they have some really nice low-profile 6.5"s with like 8mm of Xmax. It's insane. CS 265 X-Plain Pro. Will easily fit in our doors and you will have the best components out of anyone on this board that I know if, including me.

If you actually read all of what was posted, you would know the he did ask about input and suggestions about his choices, and IMO the CDT HD 62 is the best of his choices.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

That's like saying "I have $50,000 to spend on a car and I was thinking about getting a Civic or a Corolla." Why would you not try to set the guy straight?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

I did make other suggestions, and it's not like he's wanting to get $10 swap meet specials!

And try not to stress out, relax!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-07-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Another vote for the Rainbows but really the options are limitless. I picked up some Rainbow Platinums for a ridiculously low price ($300) and am in love. I only have the tweeters in at the moment. I have to build door pods for the 7" mid range But the tweets sound incredible. I guess there is a reason they cost so much.

Front stage is important, do your research and listen to as many different setups as you can.

Jman
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Launching!

for those who listed other brands what are your reasons? Even after i install sound deadener this will still be a fairly noisy car, blower, cam, exaust, no cats and a cutout. i want something that will play clean at high volumes as i go down the road at 80 with the t tops off. With all the background noise not much difference will these different sets of components make? Music is alot of rock/metal, with a little bit of soft music on occasion I will match up a 4 channel amp as appropriate to the power handling of the speakers. might try a JL HD amp but am open to ideas here too. this is for personal enjoyment not competition. appreciate the responses so far. Kee audio suggested the CDT's and the price is reasonable, ive had JL components before, but im not sure if the price is worth the benfit for my application, never used the alpines, but have heard good things. Still open minded, thanks again
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by j-man
Another vote for the Rainbows but really the options are limitless. I picked up some Rainbow Platinums for a ridiculously low price ($300) and am in love. I only have the tweeters in at the moment. I have to build door pods for the 7" mid range But the tweets sound incredible. I guess there is a reason they cost so much.

Front stage is important, do your research and listen to as many different setups as you can.

Jman
out in middle america for a wedding at the moment but have a appointment to listen to the JL and alpine when i get back. anyone know a place in chesapeake/hampton roads where i could listen to some of these other mentioned brands?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

if it makes a difference to the reccomendaions I prefer a less harsh high, like a soft dome or silk tweeter vs something like aluminum
Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah, these days it is hard to find an expansive amount of different speakers to hear. Most will carry Alpine, JL, Sony, and so on. Ironically, my last two component purchases were without hearing them but doing lots of reading up on them. I got a set of Pioneer 720PRS and now the Rainbows. The PRS mids are still in for now.

And you're right about the noise level. Hell, I got Kooks and a GMMG Which is why I am probably gonna get a different 4 ch cause this one doesn't like the extended periods (road trips) at high volume. Personally, I think comps make a huge difference and you have set an adequate budget to accomplish that. I have not heard the CDTs yet but have heard good things about them. I have owned a couple of different JLs and they are ok but again, have not heard their top of the line (I think mine were CRs and VRs), Alpines I have had many and not sure if I have owned anything Alpine that I did not love. I am working on my fourth set of components in less than 2 years in my fbody.
I think I am done though
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I had a good amount of sound deadener in my Camaro and the thing was SO QUIET other than the wind noise. I have 2 family members with recent model Accords and another family member with like a 2000ish Camry. My Camaro was WAY quieter than both.

Of course, I added quite a bit of weight to get there.

Keep in mind damping mat will not do as much for road noise as foam. Most of my road noise reduction came from the Second Skin Luxury Liner that I used. 2 layers. I did use RAAMMat, too, but it wasn't really necessary for the most part.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Launching!

how much weight did all the luxury liner add?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Launching!

specific model numbers for the rainbow, focal ect. ??
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I gave a Rainbow model number above. CS-265 X-plain Pro.

Luxury Liner is something like 1Lb/sqft.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

dragonrage, did u put in the rainbows after doing the second skin or were they already installed? I will being doing the dynamat/fatmat stuff but the idea of putting close to another 200lbs of sound dampner isn't going to happen in this car, its heavy enough with the cage, rear end, ect as it is. Would the sound difference in the rainbows vs a focal or CDT still be noticable? and suited for long, high volume operation? I don't mind spending on the rainbow if the benifit is worth it. thanks again for the input