Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car not turning on??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car not turning on??

my cousin was pumping gas and when he was going to leave the car would not start or even crank, checked all the ovious stuff like battery alarm but the security like keeps blinking. What could this be.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

From your owner's manual:
If you accidentally use a key that has a damaged or
missing resistor pellet, the starter won’t work. The
SECURITY light will flash.
Try using your spare key.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
From your owner's manual:

Try using your spare key.
ok he dont have the manual, and dont know if hes got a spare key. if it isnt his key what else could it be?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Does he have factory keyless? If so open the driver door and just like a DEI alarm lock and then unlock the doors. Sometimes if the lock button is advertently hit the factory security arms and wont start the car or even cank it. Its weird because when this happens the horn wont honk. Happended to me a few times after I put in my Viper where my exwife was playing around in the glovebox and accidently hit the factory transmitter arming the car.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy01Z
Does he have factory keyless? If so open the driver door and just like a DEI alarm lock and then unlock the doors. Sometimes if the lock button is advertently hit the factory security arms and wont start the car or even cank it. Its weird because when this happens the horn wont honk. Happended to me a few times after I put in my Viper where my exwife was playing around in the glovebox and accidently hit the factory transmitter arming the car.
That would be true except that the flashing security light in the instrument cluster has absolutely nothing to do with the factory alarm system.

Originally Posted by luisdm
ok he dont have the manual, and dont know if hes got a spare key. if it isnt his key what else could it be?
Well, you could try cleaning the contacts inside the ignition cylinder with spray contact cleaner (from Radio Shack) but that is unlikely to help in this particular case. The fact that the security light is flashing doesn't mean that the system is getting an incorrect reading from the key - it means that it's getting no reading from the key.

It's possible that the wiring between the ignition cylinder and the BCM has been cut or damaged or that the connections for the contacts inside the ignition cylinder have broken off. That has been known to happen but it's always best to go with the simplest solution first so the ignition key is the first step.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the key is fully seated in the cylinder.
Sometimes I'll forget to push the key in after leaving the radio on with the
key in the RAP position.
If you pull the key a little the the door ajar buzzer will not go off.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

I would bet it is the key as well
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just had the exact same problem too. Just about to look into it.
Have tried WD40, and tried my spare key.
Security light still flashing.
Never had trouble starting it before. Original PCM is in the car along with original VATS.
I'm going to have a look at the contact end of the barrel to see what i can find.

I will keep ya all posted, my findings may help the other person who has the same problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

I have made some progress with the problem.

The problem was not starting when I turned the key, all light looked normal apart from the 'Security' light flashing. The car would not turn over, however I could hear the fuel pump.

Looked at wires to the BCM behind the radio, they looked intact, was going to look at the wires on the back of the ignition barrell. Looked like you had to that the steering wheel off for that, so gave that a miss for now. Then I wanted to find the two wires under the dash. These two wires carry the resistance of the key to the security system.

Attached is a photo of the pair of wires. I used a ohm meter to measure the resistance of the wires going to the barrel with an without the ignition key inserted, all I could measure was an open circuit. This would indicate to me that the contcts in the barrel were no longer working, or the wires on the back of the barrel have come detached.

I tried both ignition keys. Measured the reistance of the key, mine were 1868ohms. So as I couldn't get the exact resistor I put two together and tried that in the plug. I was thinkling this was working, as my security light was no longer flashing, but it wouldn't go off. I re measured the resistors I fited and I was 800ohms instead of 1800ohms. So I tried again stringing resistors 1500 + 160 + 160 + 68, this gave me a good number. So I attached this to the two terminals. and hey presto the car fited up.

So basically what I've done is got the system to ignore the resistor from the ignition key buy fitting a fixed resistor in the wiring loom.
Attached Thumbnails Car not turning on??-15082009015.jpg   Car not turning on??-15082009016.jpg  

Last edited by RedWS6 00; 08-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like the VATS, but here is the test procedure for no starting problems:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...not-start.html
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Casper9T9
Sounds like the VATS, but here is the test procedure for no starting problems:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...not-start.html
Nice, there is some good tips there. If only I read that first, it would have helped my fix the problem sooner. I was going through the GM manual, trying to find wiring drawings of the VATS etc... got it fixed/fudged in the end. I'm sure this will crop up on many other cars. The car has been used every data for 5 years, apart from a couple of weeks holiday each year, so that ignition barrel has has some use.