Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgraded from factory radio to Monsoon headunit

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded from factory radio to Monsoon headunit

My question is ? Can I splice into the speaker wiring with my wires since the monsoon speakers have different addapters requiring 4 pin vs. my 2 pin? Also in sail panels I had no tweeters so I have the one conector. Can I splice all negs and poss wires into that wire? I have the head unit and all speakers. Any info would be greatly appreciated guys. A stereo guy I am not!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That isn't much of an "upgrade".

What year/model car are you installing this in?

The Monsoon system has nothing to do with the head unit. The so-called "Monsoon" head unit is just an ordinary Delco stereo with an extra label on the front. You could have stayed with your original head unit. The Monsoon system is all in the external amp and the matched speakers that connect to it. You can't just wire your head unit (whether it's the original or a "Monsoon") to the speakers - you need to add the amp.

There never were tweeters in the sail panels of any factory system. Monsoon systems have subs in the sail panels... single voice coil in Camaros and dual voice coil in Firebirds.

Have a look at the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum for more information.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That isn't much of an "upgrade".

What year/model car are you installing this in?

The Monsoon system has nothing to do with the head unit. The so-called "Monsoon" head unit is just an ordinary Delco stereo with an extra label on the front. You could have stayed with your original head unit. The Monsoon system is all in the external amp and the matched speakers that connect to it. You can't just wire your head unit (whether it's the original or a "Monsoon") to the speakers - you need to add the amp.

There never were tweeters in the sail panels of any factory system. Monsoon systems have subs in the sail panels... single voice coil in Camaros and dual voice coil in Firebirds.

Have a look at the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum for more information.
97-Z28 and the radio I replaced was a cassette HU so for $50 I picked up a cd HU from an 02 Z-28. I meant the hatch speakers when I was talking about tweeters, sorry. I have all the monsoon speakers and the amp, so my question is can I splice both the speaker and tweeter in the hatch panels to the one wire I had going to just one speaker before? I looked all through the sticky, but never found an answer for that. I'm not looking for major sound upgrades but since I had this deal for the complete monsoon system I got it. It's an upgrade compared to what was in my 97 that's for sure.........LOL
Old 08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Most people will tell you to leave the hatch speakers disconnected but I'm like you... I like them. However, having tweeters back there is of questionable value. You might find that having the original 4" mids back there is enough. If not, you can add the tweeters to the same wiring but you should get a high pass filter or a crossover to prevent low frequency signals from going to the tweeter.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks WhiteBird00