Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon System for 99 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon System for 99 Trans Am

This may be a very simple question but...

I have a 1999 Trans Am Ram Air (I don't know if that makes a difference or not), with blown speakers. First of all, I do not even know what is messed up because I know nothing about audio. All I want is to get the original factory speakers back in the car.

My questions are...

Are these speakers even in production still? If so, where can I find them?
What is the factory system for the 99 Trans Am Ram Air consisted of?
If these speakers are able to be bought, whether used or new, what would I have to buy? Would I have to buy a new amp? Are there subs in the original system?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... No, don't do that. Even cheap aftermarket speakers will blow the crappy stockers away.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The factory Monsoon speakers are still available from your dealer and they are relatively inexpensive. Find out which ones you need (there are 10 speakers in the car) and I can post the part numbers for you.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

White bird is right. Just know that the 6.5" in the middle of the car are 2 way low pass only. Components or any other speaker, that aren't subs I guess you would call them, will sound like S***. Trust me I figured that out the hard way. Read the sticky on it it was very helpful for me. If you need a place to get some other than stock replacement look over at KEE Audio. Link over there>>>
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM

That's the problem! I don't know which ones I need. Would my best bet be to take it into the dealership or a place like best buy to see what I need to get replaced? And since Pontiac dealers have all shut down (at least in my area), I guess a GM dealer would work, right?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's generally safe to assume that the tweeters in the doors and hatch area don't need replacing - they're fairly durable and usually outlast the rest of the system.

So that leaves the door mids, the sail panel subs, and the hatch mids. You should be able to tell which are working and which aren't by getting close to each one and listening.

Any GM dealer can get parts for your car.

DO NOT take your car to Best Buy for anything!

Quick Reply: Monsoon System for 99 Trans Am