Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amp help please

So, the car was sitting for a couple weeks, but nothing with the amps/hu/speakers was touched. Randomly, the sub stopped making any sound. I have one 4-channel amp for the front and rear (backseat) speakers. It is working perfectly fine. The mono amp for the sub is getting power (gets power from a powerblock - 4 awg in, splits to 2 8 awg out), remote turn on is shared, ground is connected to clean metal, still tight.

Since power was good, I tried swapping the input (rca) cable. Still nothing. Speaker wire from amp to sub in good condition.

I have not tried another sub (have a 12" in the other car I can try). Any other possibilities?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

fuse inside amp??? i dunno...sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. i was gonna say remote wire but if its shared and the other amp works then its all good. but yea try the other sub....process of elimination.....is the mono amp turning on...etc...maybe something lights up to indicate power?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the power indicator light is lit as well. Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Guess it could always be the pre-outs on the head unit, though that seems strange. And yeah, the subwoofer is turned "on" on the head unit, and the sub level cranked to max.

Try the other sub seems the next step. I totally forgot until I posted that I could even do it. :o
Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea i would start swapping subs after you have made sure all the wiring is good. always try to knock out the small things first, if you "think" or "assume" they are good, then 2-3 hours later you realize that it was something so simple that you overlooked. my speakers stopped working, amp wouldnt turn on. i thought my amp blew, swapped amps and still nothing. started checking power and ground cables, good. Pulled the head unit to check rcs, coem to find out the remote was loose. 2 min fix turned into a 4 hour night after tyring to clean up the massive mess we had made. anyway, good luck with your subs, let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Turns out it was a bad power wire afterall.

I could have sworn the power light was coming on (I even checked in relative darkness), but I was chasing wild geese.

Anyway, it's all good now.