Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why not just run 1 4ohm DVC Sub in the sails with the monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not just run 1 4ohm DVC Sub in the sails with the monsoon?

Why not run only 1 sub and have one side go to one voicecoil and the other go to the other VC. seems like that would be decent power and output would be doubled at least. any one tried it?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not make only 1 thread and have one side go to one voicecoil. any one tried it?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

You're not supposed to run a DVC driver with different channels. It can make the sound bad and it can also damage your amplifiers via induced currents.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You're not supposed to run a DVC driver with different channels. It can make the sound bad and it can also damage your amplifiers via induced currents.
I thought the firebird subs used 2 channels from the monsoon amp though or are the bridged?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

they are driving the same signal
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Well, that sucks.

I think it would be great if it were possible to bring the hatch 4ohm wires to the doors then route the door 2 ohm wires from the door woofers to the sails. then connect the (2) 2 ohm signals from the doors to one 2ohm dvc sub and connect the (2) 2 ohm signals from the sail woofers to another dvc 2 ohm sub and place both in the sail panels. I think that would best maximize the monsoon amp.

There isn't any way to block/ prevent the "induced currents" to make this work? No way to bridge the channels on the amp? etc.?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

What is it you're trying to do, exactly?

The Monsoon amp is already optimized for the eight channels it delivers so how would all this rewiring you're suggesting help make it better?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What is it you're trying to do, exactly?

The Monsoon amp is already optimized for the eight channels it delivers so how would all this rewiring you're suggesting help make it better?
for one- have two channels powering each 2ohm dvc sub vs. just one so more power per sub. and two using 4 ohm speakers in the doors as there are a much better selection of quality speakers in 4 ohm.

but really i just want to get more power to the sail subs (aftermarket 2 ohm dvc) if it is possible with the stock amp.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by CarolinaCamaro
for one- have two channels powering each 2ohm dvc sub vs. just one so more power per sub. and two using 4 ohm speakers in the doors as there are a much better selection of quality speakers in 4 ohm.

but really i just want to get more power to the sail subs (aftermarket 2 ohm dvc) if it is possible with the stock amp.
First of all, all this concern about the nominal impedance of your speakers is misplaced. There is no problem using a speaker of higher impedance than what you're replacing. For example, you can use 4-ohm speakers to replace 2-ohm speakers - just don't ever do it the other way around (i.e. never use speakers of lower impedance because the increased current flow could destroy your amp).

Second, the point that will apply to both your questions... doubling (or cutting in half) the power to a speaker does not double the loudness. In fact, it only causes a 3dB change in volume - noticeable but not very significant. It takes ten times as much power to double the volume. The same thing applies to speaker impedance. Replacing a 2-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker cuts the power output by half which cuts the volume by that same little 3dB. Better yet, if the aftermarket 4-ohm speaker is at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the 2-ohm factory speaker (and you can bet it probably is) then there is no loss of volume at all.

The Camaro Monsoon amp has two sub channels with low pass filters designed to run 2-ohm SVC subs. If you were to try to substitute a Firebird amp (and do all the necessary rewiring) you still end up with 4-ohm DVC sub channels in the sail panels. There is no way to produce 2-ohm DVC sub output from either Monsoon amp. Besides, running DVC subs allows twice the power which is only a 3dB increase in volume. There are other advantages to DVC over SVC but doubling the volume is not one of them.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running 2 4Ohm DVC speakers in the sail, they are wired in parallel for 2 Ohms. These are fed by a Punch 250. They sound good to me.
Ed
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First of all, all this concern about the nominal impedance of your speakers is misplaced. There is no problem using a speaker of higher impedance than what you're replacing. For example, you can use 4-ohm speakers to replace 2-ohm speakers - just don't ever do it the other way around (i.e. never use speakers of lower impedance because the increased current flow could destroy your amp).

Second, the point that will apply to both your questions... doubling (or cutting in half) the power to a speaker does not double the loudness. In fact, it only causes a 3dB change in volume - noticeable but not very significant. It takes ten times as much power to double the volume. The same thing applies to speaker impedance. Replacing a 2-ohm speaker with a 4-ohm speaker cuts the power output by half which cuts the volume by that same little 3dB. Better yet, if the aftermarket 4-ohm speaker is at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the 2-ohm factory speaker (and you can bet it probably is) then there is no loss of volume at all.

The Camaro Monsoon amp has two sub channels with low pass filters designed to run 2-ohm SVC subs. If you were to try to substitute a Firebird amp (and do all the necessary rewiring) you still end up with 4-ohm DVC sub channels in the sail panels. There is no way to produce 2-ohm DVC sub output from either Monsoon amp. Besides, running DVC subs allows twice the power which is only a 3dB increase in volume. There are other advantages to DVC over SVC but doubling the volume is not one of them.
I don't have any concerns over using higher impedence speakers but I would obviously like to avoid a 3db loss as it is not so much the volume that is lost but the quality of sound goes down as well - note I am not talking in reference to the stock speakers as they are crap anway and most anything is an improvement.

If you have ever maxxed out a sub vs barely meeting the rms you would know what I mean. Since this is what I am trying to do: feeding the two 2ohm sub wires into 1 dual 2ohm voice coil sub- the power would be (I can only guess) 150 watts to the one sub vs. only 75 watts each for two. The one operating close to max is going to sound a helluva lot better than two subs that barely meet rms req imho. I am not trying to get the amp to output a 2ohm dvc signal; rather; combine the two svc signals into one sub.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't have any concerns over using higher impedence speakers but I would obviously like to avoid a 3db loss as it is not so much the volume that is lost but the quality of sound goes down as well - note I am not talking in reference to the stock speakers as they are crap anway and most anything is an improvement.
I don't know where you heard that but speaker impedance has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

If you have ever maxxed out a sub vs barely meeting the rms you would know what I mean. Since this is what I am trying to do: feeding the two 2ohm sub wires into 1 dual 2ohm voice coil sub- the power would be (I can only guess) 150 watts to the one sub vs. only 75 watts each for two. The one operating close to max is going to sound a helluva lot better than two subs that barely meet rms req imho. I am not trying to get the amp to output a 2ohm dvc signal; rather; combine the two svc signals into one sub.
There is no difference in sound quality between a sub running at its minimum rated power and one running close to its maximum rated power.

You can't combine the two sub channels of a Camaro Monsoon system because they are generated from separate left and right signals with only a low pass filter. The signal to a DVC speaker must be exactly the same for both voice coils or you will cause distorted sound at the very least or a destroyed speaker at worst.

BTW, your guess about Monsoon sub power levels is ILS (if lightning strikes). You can expect something in the range of 40 watts RMS per channel. The amp produces 240 watts RMS into eight channels (average 30W per channel) but the output isn't evenly divided between the channels.