Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head unit no power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit no power!!!

i have a 1999 camaro z28. i have the factory monsoon stereo system in it with the 12 disc cd changer. about a month ago i installed a pioneer after market head unit in it but couldnt use the stock cd changer with it so i decided to go back to stock. when i installed the stock head unit back in i turned the car on and the lights on the all the buttons of the stereo turn on and the cd changer shuffles through the cds but the stereo wont play or display anything. if you hit the "recall" button itll display the time but nothing else. i know the head unit is getting power and i checked all the fuses but everything is good. does anybody know what it could be??
Old 08-16-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

was the led flashing when you took it out? could be a disarm feature. the code to that is in the monsoon faq.

also, why not just burn a mp3 cd that has just as many songs on it? you can organize them in folders to be sort of like playlists too.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Your head unit is getting battery (constant) power but not ignition power. These are two different circuits in the radio harness and they are protected by two different fuses.

The first place to check is the RADIO fuse (#17). Never just check visually - a fuse can be blown but still look fine. Always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse.

If that isn't the problem then check the yellow wire in the radio harness. It's possible that it became disconnected during the HU swap.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Restricted User

i went back in and the 2 yellow wires were supposed to be flipped. now the time is displayed and stays on and the cd symbol keeps flashing but nothing else works. what can it be?

Last edited by ELMAPA818; 08-18-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

So you had 12v power going to a speaker ground connection? To be honest, I don't know what effect that would have. I would expect a blown fuse but a fried head unit is entirely possible. I assume you didn't use a wiring harness adapter when you installed the aftermarket head unit but instead cut and spliced the factory wiring?

The next step is to go back and check every wire connection and use a multimeter to test that you have power and ground where you're supposed to in the harness. If that fails to find the problem, I'd start looking for another HU.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Restricted User

i got the head unit working and this time im sure all the wires are connected correctly but now i dont have any sound coming out through my speakers. the radio displays the radio station or cd but does not play anything. now what could be the problem?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Probably your amp isn't getting power. Check the RADIO ACCY fuse. If that's not the problem then you'll have to check for power and ground at the amp. It's located in the right quarter panel in front of the spare tire. There are pictures and a pinout diagram in the Monsoon FAQ stick at the top of the forum.