Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

steering wheel controls...aftermarket radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel controls...aftermarket radio?

how can i retain my controls on an 02 trans am..im installing a pioneer avic d3...is it this thingy

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-SWI-PS-Steer...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-18-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

thats it
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Make sure to check your grounds. Mine missed one and wouldn't work if the lights were on.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this PAC SWI-PS will work for any pioneer aftermarket head unit??? Is this correct? i jus bought a Pioneer Model DEH-P6800MP CD Player it did come with a remote but my seller lost it so im assuming this is what i need to make my steering wheel controls work Right????? anyone and everyone plz respond and school me cause im missing my tunes. Thx
Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

@99 6 speed, what model HU do you have? I have that problem as well with my Alpine IDA-X100. If my lights are on and the dimmer feature in the Alpine is enabled, I loose my steering wheel controls. I am using the SWI-JACK interface.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
So this PAC SWI-PS will work for any pioneer aftermarket head unit??? Is this correct? i jus bought a Pioneer Model DEH-P6800MP CD Player it did come with a remote but my seller lost it so im assuming this is what i need to make my steering wheel controls work Right????? anyone and everyone plz respond and school me cause im missing my tunes. Thx
It will work with any Pioneer or Sony head unit that has a wired remote jack. If your head unit only has an infrared (wireless) remote then it won't work.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It will work with any Pioneer or Sony head unit that has a wired remote jack. If your head unit only has an infrared (wireless) remote then it won't work.
Correct. In which case the PAC SWI-X should work since its the universal IR version. Warning: I've read that there are some Sony headunits that use non-standard IR in which case the PAC SWI-X won't work with it.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

THANK YOU so much this answers my question perfectly i believe.

Originally Posted by VIP1
Correct. In which case the PAC SWI-X should work since its the universal IR version. Warning: I've read that there are some Sony headunits that use non-standard IR in which case the PAC SWI-X won't work with it.
THANK YOU to in case my headunit doesnt have wired/remote jack. and as for the PAC SWI-X this shouldnt be applicable to me being i have a pioneer HU right?? Thx so much for the input guys i really appreciate it
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

THANK YOU to in case my headunit doesnt have wired/remote jack. and as for the PAC SWI-X this shouldnt be applicable to me being i have a pioneer HU right?? Thx so much for the input guys i really appreciate it
No need to worry - I just checked the installation manual for your DEH-P6800MP and it has the necessary wired remote jack on the back.

And yes, the limitation on the universal SWI-X applies only to certain models from Sony (there are about 20 older Sony models affected). It would not have applied to your Pioneer.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

and as for where to mount the sensor, i just mounted the sensor in the top part of the e-brake between the slits in the rubber boot. don't have a pic but if you follow the ebrake boot up where it meets the console, you can just slide the sensor in here and have it face the head unit. i never have any problems with reception unless 1. the e-brake is on, and 2. if someone riding in the passenger side puts their arm on the console and covers it up. but really this was the simplest place to put it, i thought, and relieves you of having to drill any unnecessary holes in your console, etc.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

No need to worry - I just checked the installation manual for your DEH-P6800MP and it has the necessary wired remote jack on the back.

THANK YOU so much WhiteBird00 my internet is down so i wasn't able to research it. THANK YOU.

And yes, the limitation on the universal SWI-X applies only to certain models from Sony (there are about 20 older Sony models affected). It would not have applied to your Pioneer.
Yes so my install should simple Chickachickayaya

Originally Posted by tuffluck
and as for where to mount the sensor, i just mounted the sensor in the top part of the e-brake between the slits in the rubber boot. don't have a pic but if you follow the ebrake boot up where it meets the console, you can just slide the sensor in here and have it face the head unit. i never have any problems with reception unless 1. the e-brake is on, and 2. if someone riding in the passenger side puts their arm on the console and covers it up. but really this was the simplest place to put it, i thought, and relieves you of having to drill any unnecessary holes in your console, etc.
PERFECT!! THANK YOU! tuffluck (love screen name btw) i was wondering/worried where i was going to put it cause i also have to put the i pod adapter thingy somewhere and its kinda big and i hate having to drill holes any unnecessary holes in my Baby. You'all have helped me so much thank you, you gave me the exact technical information Ive been looking for!!! the whole reason the site was created for and all of you'all are great members thx once again for posting and helping!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ArkBird96
@99 6 speed, what model HU do you have? I have that problem as well with my Alpine IDA-X100. If my lights are on and the dimmer feature in the Alpine is enabled, I loose my steering wheel controls. I am using the SWI-JACK interface.
It is a pioneer. I don't recall which model or what interface kit anymore. It works great since the grounds are fixed.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, I have the PAC-SWI-x for my Panasonic HU and have had it running for over 2 years. These things are a snap to program, only problem is you have to have the box in hand to program. Do like how you can change buttons on your wheel to control different funtions on the radio if you want.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes so my install should simple Chickachickayaya

PERFECT!! THANK YOU! tuffluck (love screen name btw) i was wondering/worried where i was going to put it cause i also have to put the i pod adapter thingy somewhere and its kinda big and i hate having to drill holes any unnecessary holes in my Baby. You'all have helped me so much thank you, you gave me the exact technical information Ive been looking for!!! the whole reason the site was created for and all of you'all are great members thx once again for posting and helping!!!
Just so there is no confusion, you won't need to mount a "sensor" anywhere. The SWI-X works by mounting an infrared emitter someplace in view of the head unit so that it can simulate the signals sent by a wireless remote. The SWI-PS connects directly to the remote jack in the head unit and needs no emitter. You just connect it and program it for your steering wheel controls to work.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i was referring to the swi-x, thought that's what we were talkin' about.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

It is a pioneer. I don't recall which model or what interface kit anymore. It works great since the grounds are fixed.
OK thanks. I have been looking around at some of the Apple and Alpine sites, and this appears to be a bug in the the Alpine IDA-XXX software, not a wiring problem or a problem with the SWI-JACK. People have also been having that issue, and not just with F-Bodies.

Quick Reply: steering wheel controls...aftermarket radio?