Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car would not start...

Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car would not start...

So i got into my car to leave the house.

Only thing I did that was normal was hit unlock twice. (Unlock pass door).

When I got in the car and turned the key, it was if the column/computer was not recognizing I had the key in the crank position.

The security light came on, and the red bulb on the dashpad a/c vent came on and started to flash.

Due to those to things, I'm going to assume the Neutral safety switch circuit is okay?

I tried mulitple times to get it to crank, Open and close doors, lock and unlock, set off alarm. ETC. I finally got it to start, but I forgot what Exactly I did. lol

Is it possible that the VATS thingy on my key is getting worn out?? I leave my keys in my car while I'm at work, (Atleast 6+ hours a day) Could that be causing some kind of problem??

Help me guys, I'm gonna be pissed if I get stranded somewhere random. lol
Old 08-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If the security light comes on then it is definitely the VATS system - that is the only function of the security light.

It could be that the contacts on your key need to be cleaned. Use a pencil eraser followed by some rubbing alcohol to thoroughlt clean the contacts. You might also want to spray some contact cleaner into the ignition cylinder. Try your spare key. If none of that works then you will have to start digging deeper - the wire connections at the ignition cylinder, the connector under the dash at the base of the steering column, or even the BCM itself.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I just did some more research after I posted. I'm gonna keep the spare key in the glove box, just in case.

I plan to clean the key and cylinder. I may just do the resistor mod thingy.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It does look like its the resistor for the VATS, lubricate the ignition cylinder with some graphite, do not use any oil based lubricant, graphite works good and its powder.

Search this Thread