Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

speakers blown again help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speakers blown again help

OK, This problem is driving me nuts.
When I got the car a few years ago the front speakers where blown.
I replaced them with new factory speakers and the one in the drivers side blew within a week.
I sent the radio out and had the volume control fixed and the rest of the radio checked out and was told that no problems found.
I then ordered the CDT's from Kee Audio and replaced the fronts again.
It lasted about a day and the passager side blew.
I do not have a monsoon and the car is a 98 ws6 vert with 43000 on it.
I do not play the music loud and lots of times do not even turn on the stereo.The stereo is the normal factory cd player with eq.
Ideas-suggestions please.I want to keep the car in original condition.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Well really only two options.

1. You have really bad luck with speakers and keep getting defects.
2. Clipping

Odds are it is number 2. Now you need to isolate why it is clipping. If your not volume happy then something is wrong with the system it's self. I would start looking for shorts. Possibly there is a wire touching the metal of the car sending the speakers a DC signal.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

At least the CDT's should be warrentied. If not you can get the extension. I was going to say maybe you have the wires switched in the front speakers as far as amped, and not amped. But you said you don't have the Monsoon, so there goes that idea.
I would have to agree with the above.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
At least the CDT's should be warrentied. If not you can get the extension. I was going to say maybe you have the wires switched in the front speakers as far as amped, and not amped. But you said you don't have the Monsoon, so there goes that idea.
I would have to agree with the above.
Yep! They are under warranty but CDT isn't going to keep replacing them if there is an issue with the system in the car. That's not the fault of the speakers.
We've been talking back and forth trying to figure it out as well. At this point I believe rewiring the speakers directly and bypassing the stock harness may be in order to at least take that part out of the equation.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Yep! They are under warranty but CDT isn't going to keep replacing them if there is an issue with the system in the car. That's not the fault of the speakers.
We've been talking back and forth trying to figure it out as well. At this point I believe rewiring the speakers directly and bypassing the stock harness may be in order to at least take that part out of the equation.
Ouch! That doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Ouch! That doesn't sound like much fun.
Yea I am not looking forward to this sence I have had the door panels off about 5 times know in the last couple months.Auto trix-speakers 3 times-window motor drivers side.
Ian,
I am taking that I need to locate pin numbers on radio and tap into wires at this point.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slickone
Yea I am not looking forward to this sence I have had the door panels off about 5 times know in the last couple months.Auto trix-speakers 3 times-window motor drivers side.
Ian,
I am taking that I need to locate pin numbers on radio and tap into wires at this point.
Hi,
Yea, that's what I'm thinking you should try next. Run the speaker wires directly from there on the back of the radio and connect those directly to the speakers by-passing the stock harness.
I am still a little concerned about the stock radio also. I know you had it tested but bench testing a radio is different in real world application where the car moves thus anything on the inside of the radio moves as well. So my thought is that if something works fine while not moving, when you put it back in a vehicle it's going to move around and anything that maybe loose or defective can effectively recreate the issue your having. Same of course applies to the wiring to the speakers from the radio. When something moves it could be coming into contact with metal and shorting out where as when you test it standing still it may test fine.
Gotta love electrical issues. Goodluck and let me know what happens and what you find!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks Ian,

I almost bought another one in excellent shape off e-bay because of the volume control issue. I contacted a guy who repaires factory Delco radio's and told him about the volume control and he said he would fix it and test it for 50.00. I almost wish I would have spent the 155.00 instead of 50.00 and if I new it would have fixed all this crap it would have been well worth the extra doe.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

KEE AUDIO/IAN?

Hi, I've got a 99 Cam SS hard top and I've got a blown right door speaker. I'm not thrilled at replacing it with a OEM speaker and having it blow again. I've done some homework and think I could use an Alpine SPS-600 to replace it. I'm thinking of cutting the tweeter wires off the two prong conector and soldering them directly to the original 4 wire harness. That way they would run off the HU and the midbass would run off the amp as originally intended by Bose Monsoon.

What do you think of this solution and do you carry the Alpine SPS-600 speakers?

BTW the cutting and soldering is not a problem for me, I'm just a bit unsure about the tweeter accepting the direct input from the HU.

Thanks for any help you may offer!
JT
Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JT1999CamaroSS
KEE AUDIO/IAN?

Hi, I've got a 99 Cam SS hard top and I've got a blown right door speaker. I'm not thrilled at replacing it with a OEM speaker and having it blow again. I've done some homework and think I could use an Alpine SPS-600 to replace it. I'm thinking of cutting the tweeter wires off the two prong conector and soldering them directly to the original 4 wire harness. That way they would run off the HU and the midbass would run off the amp as originally intended by Bose Monsoon.

What do you think of this solution and do you carry the Alpine SPS-600 speakers?

BTW the cutting and soldering is not a problem for me, I'm just a bit unsure about the tweeter accepting the direct input from the HU.

Thanks for any help you may offer!
JT
All speakers, including the door tweeters, in the Camaro Monsoon system (in no way related to Bose) run off the amp. Only Firebirds have tweeters powered directly by the head unit.

Those Alpine speakers should work fine if you split them as you describe and use both channels in each door.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to debo, but I was wondering if the speakers listed on kee are just factory relacements or an upgrade, cause I don't want to go through all the trouble and just blow out more stock speakers.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The speakers on Ian's site (keeaudio.com) are made by CDT. They are a big step up from factory speakers but they fit the same. I have them in my doors and the difference in quality is immediately noticeable.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Whitebird,

Thanks for setting me straight. I checked the owners manual and the service manual and can't find anything that says Bose was involved with the Monsoon system. Not sure how I got that idea in my head??? It must be old age creeping in early!

I do appreciate you pointing that out, nothing rocks like good information. Thanks for your input and best of luck to you!
JT
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
Sorry to debo, but I was wondering if the speakers listed on kee are just factory relacements or an upgrade, cause I don't want to go through all the trouble and just blow out more stock speakers.
If you go with the premium like I did from Ian, they are a nice step up. I have the whole CDT package. It's awesome. Just love it.