Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Interface Question

Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Interface Question

Well I wanna put my aftermarket Head Unit I had in my Green Car(97 Formula) back into the Camaro, but I wanna keep my factory steering wheel button's. I kinda did some research on here and just got more confused. Also looked an Interface up on PAC-Audio.com they also said there is no Match for an 02 Camaro Coupe.... So I'm even more confused!

Anyone lend a little help? The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P3600 if that helps.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Try a SWI-X or SWI-Jack. We used to use them back home at the shop I managed. I can't remember what one you need for sure though.

I was going to use one on my car but decided nitrous buttons were more important.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Try a SWI-X or SWI-Jack. We used to use them back home at the shop I managed. I can't remember what one you need for sure though.

I was going to use one on my car but decided nitrous buttons were more important.
Nos
way better than steering controls
lmao
i have to agree =)
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The correct adapter for Pioneer is the SWI-PS if the head unit has a wired remote connector or the SWI-X if it only has an infrared remote.

The SWI-JACK is for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood head units (hence "JACK").
Old 09-03-2009, 02:54 PM

are the SWI JAcks universal or are there specific SWI Jacks for certain models? I ordered an alpine ida-x305 HU ???? I see on ebay they list alpine but dont list my model #...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by tksmooth30
are the SWI JAcks universal or are there specific SWI Jacks for certain models? I ordered an alpine ida-x305 HU ???? I see on ebay they list alpine but dont list my model #...
The SWI-JACK (JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood) and the SWI-PS (Pioneer, Sony) will work with any head unit from the appropriate manufacturer that has wired remote control capabilities.

The Alpine iDA-X305 has wired remote capability so it will work with the SWI-JACK.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM

thanks..i see they run between $ 44.00-$48.00 on there. I was only worried because they didn't list my model. Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tksmooth30
thanks..i see they run between $ 44.00-$48.00 on there. I was only worried because they didn't list my model. Thanks again!
Where are you finding them THAT cheap?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The correct adapter for Pioneer is the SWI-PS if the head unit has a wired remote connector or the SWI-X if it only has an infrared remote.

The SWI-JACK is for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood head units (hence "JACK").
According to Crutchfield the SWI-PS wont work for my radio, and according to PAC themselves the SWI-X wont work for Pioneer's....

http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...rogramming.asp
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

That model HU doesn't have a wired remote connection so the SWI-PS won't work. But I don't see anywhere in that link that says the SWI-X won't work and I've never heard of a problem with the SWI-X except on certain Sony models (and according to the website, certain JVC models). You should be able to use a SWI-X with that head unit.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These adapters used to be pretty pricey, weren't they? I've seen them alot cheaper now.
I've got a Pioneer (gotta go look up the model #) but I wasn't really planning on restoring the steering wheel controls, but since the adapters have become a little more affordable, I think I may "splurge".
Few questions though.
Where does the "adapter" go?
How does it work exactly?
How involved is the install?
Any pics would be useful/helpful!
Thanks.
*edit*
I'm pretty sure my HU model # is a: Pioneer DEH-P3000IB Head Unit

Last edited by Super-Bat; 11-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just went to a stereo shop and told them i wanted my steering wheel controls to work, cost me 27$ and some change and 40 minutes later my controls work flawlessly
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any answers for my question?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run an SWI-X on my car because I've been through a few different brand head units and didn't feel like replacing the interface all the time. On the Camaro cup holder behind the shifter there is a small relief on the passenger side...I put a small hole there for the IR emitter and it's able to see right around the shifter to the head unit...works perfectly.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any pics of install process? Or walk me through it? Is it fairly simple?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
These adapters used to be pretty pricey, weren't they? I've seen them alot cheaper now.
I've got a Pioneer (gotta go look up the model #) but I wasn't really planning on restoring the steering wheel controls, but since the adapters have become a little more affordable, I think I may "splurge".
Few questions though.
Where does the "adapter" go?
How does it work exactly?
How involved is the install?
Any pics would be useful/helpful!
Thanks.
*edit*
I'm pretty sure my HU model # is a: Pioneer DEH-P3000IB Head Unit
Any pics of install process? Or walk me through it? Is it fairly simple?
The install is fairly simple if you know how to install a head unit. The unit needs switched power, ground, and a wire to the wire at the steering column that comes from the steering wheel controls. It's only 1 wire, which is green if I remember correctly, that shows a different voltage for each function from the controls. I'd recommend buying (if you're Pioneer does have this) a head unit that's "steering wheel ready", that way you can plug the SWI in directly instead of the IR eye that doesn't work too well. The module tucks behind the dash once programming is complete, then you won't see it anymore. If you came to my shop, I'd charge around $75 for the module, then labor wouldn't be much.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonyb
The install is fairly simple if you know how to install a head unit. The unit needs switched power, ground, and a wire to the wire at the steering column that comes from the steering wheel controls. It's only 1 wire, which is green if I remember correctly, that shows a different voltage for each function from the controls. I'd recommend buying (if you're Pioneer does have this) a head unit that's "steering wheel ready", that way you can plug the SWI in directly instead of the IR eye that doesn't work too well. The module tucks behind the dash once programming is complete, then you won't see it anymore. If you came to my shop, I'd charge around $75 for the module, then labor wouldn't be much.
I installed the Pioneer HU, with the help of a buddy, and it wasn't too bad at all.
How do you get to the wiring for the steering wheel controls? Does the steeringwheel have to be removed or is under the dash/kick panel area? I don't want to have to buy a new HU, so I think I'm going to go with the SWI-PS.
18 hour drive from me to you, doesn't seem very practical. Lol.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

I installed the Pioneer HU, with the help of a buddy, and it wasn't too bad at all.
How do you get to the wiring for the steering wheel controls? Does the steeringwheel have to be removed or is under the dash/kick panel area? I don't want to have to buy a new HU, so I think I'm going to go with the SWI-PS.
18 hour drive from me to you, doesn't seem very practical. Lol.
I wasn't trying to sell my services or say "come to my shop", I just wanted to give you an idea of what you'd have to pay IF you went to a local car audio shop.....

You can get the wire under the bellypad, which is the panel below the steering wheel that goes from the door to the console. Remove it and you'll see the ignition harness running from the steering column to the fusebox.

The SWI-PS is only for the head units that have the "steering wheel ready" plug on the back. I looked at the Pioneer 3100ib, and it does look like it has that on the back, so the SWI-PS will work fine.

The manual for the SWI will tell you what color to get in the car for the steering wheel controls.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonyb
I wasn't trying to sell my services or say "come to my shop", I just wanted to give you an idea of what you'd have to pay IF you went to a local car audio shop.....

You can get the wire under the bellypad, which is the panel below the steering wheel that goes from the door to the console. Remove it and you'll see the ignition harness running from the steering column to the fusebox.

The SWI-PS is only for the head units that have the "steering wheel ready" plug on the back. I looked at the Pioneer 3100ib, and it does look like it has that on the back, so the SWI-PS will work fine.

The manual for the SWI will tell you what color to get in the car for the steering wheel controls.
Alright the install doesn't seem too bad at all then. Basically cut the colored wire coming from steering wheel controls and connect it to the SWI? And then SWI sends the remote signal to the HU? My HU came with a remote. Will the use of this interfere with the SWI?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

Alright the install doesn't seem too bad at all then. Basically cut the colored wire coming from steering wheel controls and connect it to the SWI? And then SWI sends the remote signal to the HU? My HU came with a remote. Will the use of this interfere with the SWI?
DO NOT cut it! Tap it. You just want to tap the signal from that wire. If you cut it, it will no longer work. The SWI won't interfere with the remote that came with the cd player.

Search this Thread