Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

flashers stoped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashers stoped working

went out in my 01 t/a the other day was the first trip i had done in it since buying it and fitting the gearbox went up the road everything working had to pull over as i forgot to do one wheel up lol wondered what he noise was
so put the flaser on and pulled over and put the hazzards on
got back in the car turned the hazzards off and now i dont have any flashers
i pulled the relays down to day and dont have any power going to the flasher relay so for now i have just powered it up so i can use the car

now what i am thinking it is is the hazzard switch as i am a mechanic and have seen it on other cars but they have been easy to test

were the t/a have to take the steering wheel off to get to anything (i think)

so want to know were does the power go after the fuse as thats ok and have power there

as i want to sort it quick as i have just run a live off the hazzards at the min so i can use the car to get about
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Wow...that was the Queen's English?

If you have checked and found that there is no power at the turn signal flasher (what you called a "relay") then your problem isn't with the switch. The circuit runs power through the flasher first and then on to the switch.

There is nothing between the fuse and the flasher except wire so I suspect that your Turn Signal/Backup fuse is blown. Never trust a visual inspection of a fuse because it can be blown and still look fine. Always use a tester or replace with a known good fuse. If it isn't the fuse then you have a break in the wire someplace between the fuse and the flasher.

The hazard lights (not related to the Dukes of Hazzard) have a separate flasher and are protected by the Stop/Hazard fuse but are controlled by the turn signal switch assembly - there is no separate switch as there is on many other vehicles.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

thanks told me want i needed to know that there is a break in the wire somewere lucky the wire wont be to long

and is the only think when i post on u.s site we call nearly everthing on cars differnet to you if i know what you call it i will try and say it most of the time i forget

and as you have seen spelling is not my thing was never good at english at school i work with my hands not in a office would be screwed then lol

but thanks and clad you knew what i ment lol
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

No offense intended... I was just "yanking your chain" a little.

I am aware of many differences in automotive terminology since I grew up in Canada (trunk = boot, hood = bonnet, etc.). However, even here many people mistakenly refer to a flasher as a relay. A relay is a device that is used to control a high power circuit with a separate low power circuit. A flasher is a device that interupts the flow of current in a single circuit on an alternating basis.

I hope you find the break in the wire.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

so do i i am away at the weekend so will be a next week job now but least its all in one place

and have just bought a little run about so dont have to use it till next weekend

but must be a thing to go wrong with 4th gens in the uk this week as a member on the pontiac owners uk has just put up a fault with his 4th gen lol