Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head Unit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Questions

Hey guys long story short I need a new head unit for my Firebird, but when it comes to stereo stuff I know nothing.

What would be a good head unit to get? I don't want a cheap p.o.s. and I don't want a super high end fancy one. How much do head units usually run and where do y'all go to get 'em?

Thanks for the help guys
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

What features are you looking for{cd, ipod, bluetooth, hd radio, sat radio, etc}
Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I should have mentioned that.

CD and iPod are the only ones...i have nothing with bluetooth and I don't feel like paying to listen to the radio...but what is hd radio?

Also would this be a good time to upgrade the speakers as well?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SanitysBane
Sorry I should have mentioned that.

CD and iPod are the only ones...i have nothing with bluetooth and I don't feel like paying to listen to the radio...but what is hd radio?

Also would this be a good time to upgrade the speakers as well?
Look around some of the car audio sites on the internet. Crutchfield is where I normally shop at.
As far as what you're looking for;

-Do you have any preference on colors that the HU has?
Some people are partial to a certain color because of replacement bulbs in their interior.
-What is your price range?

As far as speakers, when you get a new HU you will be putting more power to each speaker so you may want to get some better speakers so you can take full advantage of the new HU.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

hd radio is a new broadcat of regular radio in which u get digital quality. so fm sound like a cd and am sounds like fm. you buy the hd ready radio then buy the hd tuner and there is no service
Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Ah thanks for the explanation on HD radio.

I don't really have any preference in color...Im not that OCD yet...though I do remember my brother running Pioneer, are they any good?

Price range is really I don't know, I know that Best Buy sells come cheap looking crap for around 100...

And yeah tonight I noticed that one of my rears and one of the fronts are blown...looks like I am replacing everything...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Launching!

I would fine the exact one you want, then search for it on ebay. There prices for HU are unbelievable, even the new ones.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 AM
TECH Regular

Check out the CDA-9886 for Alpine. I just ordered it off an auction site online brand new. I also have the Alpine CDA-9887. Alpine makes solids head units...Im replacing my Pioneer and putting in the 9886 in my winter/work beater.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackops22
Check out the CDA-9886 for Alpine. I just ordered it off an auction site online brand new. I also have the Alpine CDA-9887. Alpine makes solids head units...Im replacing my Pioneer and putting in the 9886 in my winter/work beater.
What he said....Alpine makes solid headunits...the CDA-9887 is GREAT....I had one in my 95 Camaro but it was stolen. If your going for Ipod I would get the IDA-X305.....that's probally what ill get for my next HU...but if you want cd then your out of luck....hope this helps!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Is anyone running the IDA-X305?