Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

car wont start?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default car wont start?

ok the short story is i have a 96 camaro that cranks but is not firing.

the long story is we picked up the car with a blown up 3.8 v6 in it, picked up another v6 used from a race shop out of a 2000 camaro with fresh rebuild less than a 1000 miles on it no ecm and the harness was cut. started the swap got everything in using his harness,ecm and fuel rail and injectors and upper intake manifold from the 96. got everything back together and it cranks but will not fire. it has spark at the coil packs and the plugs, firing order is correct, have fuel at the rails, but the injectors are not ticking or working at all as if the ecm is not telling them to work. and have noticed that the car will sometimes crank and somtimes will not and there is a strange hum from the passenger side dash (maybe bcm)

i have tried adding another ground strap under the hood checking for unconnected wires but have yet to find a solution

i keep trying to think of things it could be but nothing is popping up, i dont have a code reader to see if its throwing codes it could easily be a sensor i guess but have no way of knowing speaking of. most of the sensors are off the 2000 motor. is their differences in them as far as signal outputs that might be confusing the ecm.

im tired and have been working on it for a while so i may have left out some stuff but i dont think so.

i would really appreciate any help i can get at this point as this thing has been in my shop for 7 months now waiting on the motor and i am so close to getting it out of there and moving on to other things.

Search this Thread