Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Window motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor

Ok I think the drivers side motor is going out. The window is slowing down and when rolling up it doesnt roll up all the way. It's like its tilted and there is a gap in front where it meets the rubber. My question is this. Is there anything I can do to make it faster when replacing it? I hate how slow they are, and why is it tilting? I want to get as much info before I tear into it.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Tilting = Bad.

Something mechanical is probably going down inside the door, which is straining the motor.

You'll need to take the door panel off, peel back the plastic vapor barrier, and see whats going on. Some specific conditions to check for:
- Make sure the rear vertical roller is engaged properly in the track and is still attached to the window. (These can break off.)
- Make sure your four regulator rivets are attached well to the fiberglass door panel and aren't ripping through their holes.
- Make sure none of the bolts attaching channels and stops to the door are loose.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks for you info, I will tear into it tomorrow..
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is also doing this.... sans tilt.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
If you have the same problem with the gaps and everything, then you may have the problem with tearing inside the door or mis-adjsuted stops.

BTW - This is the best thread I've seen on the tearing issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html It will give you a good example of what to look for and how to repair.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I took it in to the dealer 2 days ago. they said the motor and something else was bad. It was going to cost me 253.00 with a discount my friend has.. I tore it apart yesterday and found you were right. The motor had ben replaced and came loose. The bolts were tearing into the door. It only had two left but made tear marks pretty bad. I replaced the bolts and tightened them with red lock tight and it works great now. Saved me 253.00!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I took it in to the dealer 2 days ago. they said the motor and something else was bad. It was going to cost me 253.00 with a discount my friend has.. I tore it apart yesterday and found you were right. The motor had ben replaced and came loose. The bolts were tearing into the door. It only had two left but made tear marks pretty bad. I replaced the bolts and tightened them with red lock tight and it works great now. Saved me 253.00! Thanks for the info..
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Originally Posted by wssix99
If you have the same problem with the gaps and everything, then you may have the problem with tearing inside the door or mis-adjsuted stops.

BTW - This is the best thread I've seen on the tearing issue: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html It will give you a good example of what to look for and how to repair.
I have no tilt nor gaps.... it just is slow as hell and it stalls/stops but it always works.

Window motor going bad????
Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yep that would be the motor going out. It will get slower and slower untill it will stop working a couple times during roll up. Then completly stop.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

... +1
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by blue99ta402
Ok so I took it in to the dealer 2 days ago. they said the motor and something else was bad. It was going to cost me 253.00 with a discount my friend has.. I tore it apart yesterday and found you were right. The motor had ben replaced and came loose. The bolts were tearing into the door. It only had two left but made tear marks pretty bad. I replaced the bolts and tightened them with red lock tight and it works great now. Saved me 253.00!
Cool - I'd recommend looking to get a support plate made up as well. There are 4 bolts there for a reason and you now only have 2 that actually bear on the door. Over time, they could stress out your 2 remaining good holes and tear those out also.

Instead of a plate, (depending on how bad your damage is) you may be able to epoxy some fender washers to the fiberglass over your two bad holes. This will firm up/reinforce those two weak bolts and take stress off of your two good holes.