Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Brake/turn signal problems! Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake/turn signal problems! Please help!!!

Alright, I have a 97 Z/28. I noticed that my driver side turn signal wasn't working, the green arrow would come on but staying solid and not blinking. So I decided to play it safe and replace all the bulbs in the back and front at once just to be sure. But as it turns out...that bulb still doesn't work on the rear. I tested the socket and it's getting power, but the bulb isn't working and I already put it in the other side to make sure it worked. I noticed that there was some water and both that socket and the running light socket were rusted. I'm pretty sure I just need to replace the socket, but I'm not sure. Fuses are good as well as the ground BTW. Thanks guys! I'm trying to take care of it before I get pulled over for it.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If the socket is rusted, then it may need to be replaced. (You may have good enough contact for a voltmeter but not good enough for a bulb's contact.)

Not sure which sockets you are talking about where, but if you have water inside, that's a bad thing that needs to be fixed. Cold water in the lenses can cause bulbs to shatter, or the socket corrosion. The running light lenses often get cracked by road debris, but the cracks are hard to see. Press on the front of the lens with your finger and if you see any cracks/separation, (or standing water) then you'll need to replace the lens.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like a bad socket to me. If it's rusted, get a new one. If it's just corroded, clean it out and put some turn signal fluid on it
Old 09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

I have replaced my front sockets several times and finally fabbed up some clear plexiglass lens covers and replaced the bulbs with tower LEDs, looks nice and runs much cooler. The heat of the old bulbs was causing my problem (melting the socket and housing) since i ran with them on all the time.

I'm working on a way to do a similar thing to the rears.