Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

infinity 6020 cs speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default infinity 6020 cs speakers...

I replaced the factory speakers in the door on my 99 z/28 camaro. It came equipped with the monsoon system. I replaced them with the infinity 6020 cs speakers. the only problem is it sounds like there is only bass coming from them and not much sound. I've read through stickies but still not sure why its doing that. I believe they are a 2 ohm speaker, so it shouldn't be doing this right? These and a pioneer deck is the only thing different from factory. any suggestion on what to do? without going all out?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ur factory speaker had 4 wires correct, and u just used 2 of them?

you need to clip the wires goin to the tweeter on ur speaker and wire the other set to the tweeter

should be in FAQ if i recall
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

You should NOT be running 2 ohm tweeters, this could mess up your amp. The amp is designed for 4 ohm tweeters and 2 ohm mids. You might have melted something, either in the speaker or the amp.

If you have 2 ohm speakers, you need to use the wires that are for the mids. Dark blue and light blue on driver side and orange and dark green on passenger side.

Since you need to use the mid wires and not the tweeter wires, your sound may not be the greatest
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

there is 4 wires to the speaker...I used them all. 2 reds to the positive side and 2 blacks to the negative side. I didnt touch any other wires. I used the factory connector as well so nothing should be mixed up....Do you think possibly it could be a connection problem? I stripped the wires back enough to be able to wrap them around a few times and they are tight so I wouldn't think that's the problem... If I cant figure it out I think I'm just going to save up some more money and get a system.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Is the factory tweeters part of the original speaker? if so I dont have any tweeters hooked up. that could be the problem......????

Last edited by CobraKllr_99; 09-28-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

The factory set up has a tweeter and a mid-range speaker. 2 different speakers, but they're mounted together. Each speaker uses 2 wires, so there are 4 wires total. The tweeters are 4 ohm and the mids are 2 ohm. Your problem may be that the Infinity's are 2 ohm, and running those speakers could potentially damage your tweeter since the ohms are lower than the Monsoon system can handle.

You didnt use the crossover at all did you?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

read this sticky for more info on what ohms are and how the Monsoon system is set up
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html
Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 ohm vs 4 ohm wont harm the speaker at all. as far as having a 2 ohm tweeter and the stock setup being designed for 4 ohm it will strain the amp a bit but others have done this with no issues at all

the problem is the way you wired it, the tweeter on the speaker needs to be wired seperatly to the appropriate pair out of the 4 speaker wires, you arent supposed to connect them all together
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I am aware that others have wired 2 ohm speakers to a 4 ohm output, but I would never suggest it. it could POTENTIALLY make the amp unstable. granted, the potental is minimal, but i'd rather get a properly ohmed speaker at the onset rather than have to replace my amp down the road.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You are correct that running speakers of lower impedance than an amp's output rating is generally not a good idea. It won't hurt the speaker at all but the increased current can damage the amp.

Remember that running a 2-ohm speaker on a 4-ohm channel doubles the current. That is not a problem at lower volume settings because the current doesn't exceed the amp's output capacity. It becomes a problem only when the volume is increased to the point where the current to the speaker exceeds the amp's capacity.

That's why using a 2-ohm tweeter on a 4-ohm channel is far less dangerous than doing the same thing with a mid or sub - you don't push nearly as much power to the tweeter. It's not a recommended practice but I'm confident that it won't do any harm in this situation.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

I agree that it probably won't do harm in this situation. I just don't want people thinking they can swap out a 4 ohm speaker for a 2 ohm speaker in all applications. I sure would like to get some data that shows the RMS of each channel of the monsoon amp...i haven't been able to find this anywhere though. anyone have this data?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem when replacing the stock speakers in a Camaro.
Look at the back of your Infinity speaker. There is a small thin wire running up the back and into the magnet. That's the tweeter wires. You have to wire them seperately, as mentioned, by cutting that close to the pos and neg leads where they are soldered on and wire them to the tweeter wires on the harness. Preferabley you should reuse the stock connector off the old speaker and wire everything to that so you can plug back into the stock harness. This way you have your seperate tweeter and midbass wires as before. This will give you your full range sound back. Wiring them together will not work.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

KEE, correct me if I'm wrong, but he says he has component speakers, so the tweeter isnt wired into the midbass. He shouldnt have to cut anything should he?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jahmes143
KEE, correct me if I'm wrong, but he says he has component speakers, so the tweeter isnt wired into the midbass. He shouldnt have to cut anything should he?
You are correct, just noticed the that. I saw Camaro and my brain went to coaxial install immediately. It is a common mistake that Camaro guys make when replacing speakers in that application that they connect the 2 pairs of wires together so I was thinking along those lines.
Still...you cannot wire the 2 wires together going into the input on the crossover either. That won't work. Monsoon system already seperates the frequencies so you would not use the crossover, just the speakers. When you have a full range signal coming to you and you need to seperate the frequencies then you would use the crossover...in this case it's already seperated so you can't put them back together.