Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

making stealth boxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default making stealth boxes

I started making a pair of stealth boxes today and it is harder than I originally anticipated. I think they'll be nice when they are done. I am using 3/4" mdf.

Has anyone done this before? Any tips or pointers?

The reason I am attempting this is because I have left over materials and though it would be fun to try.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut it out of cardboard first so you get the pieces you need shaped right. You can use 5/8" mdf for the backing but use 3/4" for the front. Make sure you use liquid nails or other type of contruction adhesive between the seams for added strength and to help seal it. You will still need to seal the seams with caulk, silicone works fine for this. I would also recommend coating the inside with truck bed coating or other type of spray in or paint on sound deadener as it does help.
Take your time with the cardboard so you get the panels right the first time.
Good luck!!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply. Good tip on the sound deadener. I am almost done with the driver side and I've been using plenty of liquid nails. I think it looks pretty good. I will post some pics when I am done.

I think the passenger side should be much easier because of all the extra space. Do you where I can get some spray in sound deadener or somthing similar?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use some 3M "truck bed coating" or similar type of product. Their is also edead spray from Elemental Designs and even a product from Mr. Gasket that does pretty well that are all shaker can type sprays.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the original poster's thread but Kee, do you still make the fiberglass stealth boxes? Compared to the wood boxes, do the fiberglass boxes have more airspace?