Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP! Radio doesn't shut off...drains battery!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Radio doesn't shut off...drains battery!!

Im having some problems findin the root of my electrical bug and hoped you guys could help!

When I shut my car completely off and shut the door...the radio eventually power back up on its own and radomly shuts off then back on while it sits there. It will also do this with the door completely open. Some of the times, the "security" light comes on along with the radio. At first, I thought it was the sensor that shuts the radio/accessories power off once the door opens, but I unplugged it and it didnt help the problem. (just to verify, it is the sensor inside the door that is close to the latch and above the gm codes sticker, correct??) I did notice last night that when i pressed the driver side window button up, it would shut off for a couple seconds, then came back on...I need to find out whats going on because it drains my battery pretty quick and its driving me crazy!!!

Thanks in advance for your input!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like an ignition switch problem
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
sounds like an ignition switch problem
how can i tell for sure? and where would be the best place to get a new one from?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe u got the main power line (the one that stays on allways on aka The memory) and the power line that gets controlled by the igniton switch confused? or maybe fualty wires? if you cant find the problem you can go old school and put a main switch between the radio and the main power line? lmao i hope i helped!