Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kind Of Strange That My Battery Died

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Kind Of Strange That My Battery Died

I have a Optima Red Top in the car. I bought it new 2/2007. Every year when I put the Trans Am up for storage I ALWAYS disconnect the battery and bring it indoors so that it doesn't suffer the cold weather.

The last time that I drove my car was beginning of September, so it has sat a little over a month. I went to go start my car today and the battery was dead. Seemed kinda strange. The ony thing that changed between September till now was I added a triple gague pod. I got the power from the radio fuse and grounded it to the car. I know there shouldn't be any power draining, at least to my knowledge.

So what caused the battery to die? I opened the door to the car, no interior lights, or door chime.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when someone replys to one of your million threads about the battery let me know too because I have the same problem and same battery
Old 10-10-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
when someone replys to one of your million threads about the battery let me know too because I have the same problem and same battery

Well I posted it in different subforums hoping to get some sort of answer

what's the story with your battery? When did you drive your car last?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

My car died everytime I left it pluged in,it MUST be a draw right now my car is in piece with the motor out and ****. I use to start it up EVERY day even with the knock but before that it was driven every day unless it was rainy out so I need to thing of things that have a slow drian any options?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

does the stero reatain enough power to maybey drain it? But I know the stero has RAP, so until you open the door it has power, then opwn the door and it is cut off..

More ideas??
Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

On my way to go and exchange my battery now
Old 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is an update. I took my battery to AutoZone. The guy tested it but since the battery was dead he needed to trickle charge it. I gave him 3 hours. I came back, put it back on the charger and it was only putting out 11.3v. Should have been in the 13.8v range...

AutoZone replaced my battery free of charge.

Earlier this summer I was having problems with all my lights flickering and what not. Read this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-inside-2.html I think my new battery coured it
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have that red top in my race car, if it sits for a month or so, its dead.
Same with the 5 lb battery i race with thats normally in the car.

Its supposed to be a deep cycle battery and last longer than a lead acid battery.

They take a beating, but need a long time to charge.

If you experience the same issue this time next year, then you have a key off battery drain that will slowly kill the battery.

Trunk light, hood light, radio memory wire, aftermarket gauges are plugged into batt instead of ign...
BW
Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbov6bryan
I have that red top in my race car, if it sits for a month or so, its dead.
Same with the 5 lb battery i race with thats normally in the car.

Its supposed to be a deep cycle battery and last longer than a lead acid battery.

They take a beating, but need a long time to charge.

If you experience the same issue this time next year, then you have a key off battery drain that will slowly kill the battery.

Trunk light, hood light, radio memory wire, aftermarket gauges are plugged into batt instead of ign...
BW
When I pull out the red top battery at the end of every season, I bring it indoors and put it in my closet. So the battery sits from November till April. I take the battery out of the closes put it in the car and starts up every time for the past 2 yrs. I do not charge it or anything when I stick it into my closet. Then my car sat for a month and it dies.. Yup definetly a bad battery.

All what you listed has RAP.. meaning they have power to them until either 10 mins goes by or you open your door then the power is killed...