Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions??

Im new to the audio stuff so I just wanted ya'lls advise before I buy this setup.

2 10" Kicker Comps in a custom box powered off 400w kicker amp

2 diamond audio c-3 component setups (6.5" w/ tweeters) powered off stock head unit.
All professionally installed for around $900.

any pros/cons?
Thanks
Old 12-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Not bad, that price seems a little pricey, but about right fo a professional shop.. If yo are shopping around, look for MB Quart speakers or tweeters, they are a really good brand... But that price aint too bad.. good luck my gizzle!
Old 12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You hear a world of a difference if you use an externel amp for those components. To me that is very pricey.. I would shop around or do it yourself.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Teching In

thanks,
Yeah but I just want to do it right the first time. Im sure I can do it myself but it dam sure wont be professional. what amp you reccommend for components?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Dont power the components off the stock head unit it will sound like crap. Definitly invest in a aftermarket head unit and a external amp. Most headunits including your stocker at most put out 15 watts. Most component sets work best with atleast 50 to 70 watts of power. By underpowering you speakers they are going to under perform at any volume. Same as running 87 octane in a LS1. Will it run yea, but it aint gonna run to well or like its suppose to.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Like they said above, might also want to look into mb quart component sets, and you definitely want to amp the fronts.

What type of box is being built for those subs? Comp's like alot of air space, so if you have/plan on keeping ttops, you want to consider that and the possibilities of where to put the subs. Depending on what type of box is being built, those subs and that amp that you are looking at could be had on ebay brand new for under 375, so you might be interested in purchasing the products yourself and then taking them to an install shop if you dont feel comfortable doing the install yourself.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

those speakers are great but its like replacing your LS1 with a Quad 4 by using the stock Monsoon power on speakers like those. Get a good amp or dont even bother. Alpine has the MRV-T420 that would power those perfectly!