Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

NO SOUND after I did 94camaroz28lt1 Bose MP3 input cut Pink wire to add pwr ant to HU

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO SOUND after I did 94camaroz28lt1 Bose MP3 input cut Pink wire to add pwr ant to HU

Is a 94 with Bose system.

The ant does go up and down based on radio powered on or off. Yay but nothing more than a cat toy now.

It all lights up. All the buttons and ***** work.

No sound with Radio, CD, or MP3 plugged in.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...n-10-00-a.html

All I did was 2 wires from the pins to the jack like it shows.

And added a power antenna that wasn't original.

Was wherever the pink wire was going originally even in a non power ant car matter and needs to still be in the loop?
Did cutting it off a few inches and only having the ant routed to the back of the head unit affect something?

Last edited by ViperVisor; 09-14-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If I remember correctly, the pink wire in a Bose system was the amplifier remote turn-on and had nothing to do with a power antenna. No amp... no sound.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If I remember correctly, the pink wire in a Bose system was the amplifier remote turn-on and had nothing to do with a power antenna. No amp... no sound.
I guess the schematic of the pins I saw online was of non bose. And pink is fairly common color for it with other units.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Here's a schematic: http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg

You'll see the pink wire at pin 8 of the radio connector C1 powers the coil of the Bose relay which provides power to each of the individual speaker amps.

Pink is commonly used in older GM vehicles with standard Delco head units for power antenna control but the Bose system is an unusual setup with its own unique wiring.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Thanks. Works good now.

Is it confirmation bias or does it sound better with the original HU?

I didn't obsess over tweeking the 2002 head unit that was installed before but...
The stock setup sounded better balanced LEFT/RIGHT FRONT/BACK BASS/TREBLE. And the volume control walked up with the dial better. From a whisper to LOUD.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The stock system very well could sound better because of the unusual configuration. The Camaro Bose uses a unique head unit that produces low voltage, high impedance output (basically earbud output) into three or five speakers (depending on year and model) that have individual amps connected to them. Without a special signal processing adapter, using a non-Bose head unit will cause loss of precise volume, balance and fader control as well as significant distortion at higher volume.

Quick Reply: NO SOUND after I did 94camaroz28lt1 Bose MP3 input cut Pink wire to add pwr ant to HU