Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Retrofit Newer-model light switch with off position??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit Newer-model light switch with off position??

If anyone has noticed like in the newer Chevy trucks they have light switches similar to ours, except you can twist them past off and it will turn the lights off, even at night. Has anyone made this fit? Does it fit? Does anyone have this in an F-body?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by traviSS396
If anyone has noticed like in the newer Chevy trucks they have light switches similar to ours, except you can twist them past off and it will turn the lights off, even at night.?
Not sure whats so special about that you just have to turn yours to the off position
Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Not sure whats so special about that you just have to turn yours to the off position
Camaros have auto headlights, so you really can't turn off the headlights when it is dark out. Not the way it comes from the factory, at least.

You can lift the dash pad, unplug the light sensor, and jumper the socket to bypass auto headlights.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he is talking about being able to turn off the auto headlights. My silverado has that feature, not sure if anyone has tried retrofitting one into an f-body though.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry, misread Sparky's post.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

There's a way to override the auto headlights.

If you just want to get rid of auto headlights, put a 20 ohm resistor in place of the current one, this way it thinks it's always bright out.

If you want to get rid of DRLs as well, there's a black box behind the radio you can solder a small piece of wire to. It's a little more complicated, but somebody might have pics or a link for you.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No resistor is necessary. The daylight sensor just measures resistance... the brighter the light, the lower the resistance. Simply shorting the two sensor wires together (zero resistance) makes the system think that it is always bright daylight. In fact, this is how GM disabled automatic headlights in US model Firebirds (a simple jumper across the sensor leads). The headlights will never go on automatically but they will still work normally using the switch.

A really easy way to short the sensor leads together is to use one of those ScotchLock connectors usually used to tap into an existing wire. Lift up the dash pad and squeeze one of those connectors across the two sensor wires. It's also easy to reverse if you ever want to go back to factory configuration.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

I like the auto headlights, I have always liked the switch in the newer Chevy trucks, though. Like Peter is talking about. I might just end up doing this little mod. hmm
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Another way you can do it is to wire a switch into the sensor leads. A standard SPST switch can be spliced into the two sensor leads and mounted someplace convenient. When the switch is off, the automatic headlights work normally. When the switch is on, it shorts the two leads together disabling the automatic headlights just like a ScotchLock would do.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm.I just unplugged one of the wires in the box behind the radio. I don't remember which one since I did it the day I drove my 99 SS home, back on that faithful night on April 15th, 1999 at 9:07pm! I pulled up some info from www.ls1.com (at the time, before ls1tech was created). I also did this same thing on my 00 Ws6 back in 2001. Everything works as it should so I don't see why you have to cut/solder and all that.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Partly because you no longer have a brake warning light on the dash - if you have brake problems you won't know it until it's too late. And partly because, if you have a manual transmission, you can't open your hatch with the inside button anymore.

It's always best to make modifications that have no (or minimal) side effects. There's often an easy way and a right way to make changes and they're seldom the same way.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm more interested in keeping the auto headlights and having an option to cut them off when i want. I already have a switch for the fans, I'm all for stock looking interior, so i don't really want another switch just to cut the lights off once in a while... SOOOO no one has fit a silverado light switch into an f body? I want factory looking, factory working. No more switches.

I apologize for the belligerence, it's a friday night and i worked off early. The Camaro got washed and waxed so what is there really to complain about?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Try it out!

Have you thought about a switchplate in your ashtray? That way you wouldn't see switches, but they'd be there.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Partly because you no longer have a brake warning light on the dash - if you have brake problems you won't know it until it's too late. And partly because, if you have a manual transmission, you can't open your hatch with the inside button anymore.

It's always best to make modifications that have no (or minimal) side effects. There's often an easy way and a right way to make changes and they're seldom the same way.
I found out the hard way the hatch won't open with the engine running. I did this mod, where I just unplugged the wire. I heard only the dash brake light won't work, so I thought no biggie. Then I couldn't open my hatch anymore.

There's a way to do this without any side effects, HERE.