Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bose in '04 Silverado does not play sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bose in '04 Silverado does not play sound

2004 Silverado Z71
Bose Premium

Recently the sound in my step dads truck quit working. Everything seems to work fine (controls, lights, functions) on the head unit, but it just has no sound output.

Could this be a HU problem? Does this system have one single amp, or multiple amps located with the speaker, or some other type of setup that could be the culprit other than the HU? For the life of me, all i can find on this subject pertains to earlier model BOSE systems, and Monsoon systems.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There were two similar but different versions of Bose systems used at that time. They were known as the LUX and non-LUX versions. Both systems used a head unit that produced low-level signal to a single amp connected to a variety of speakers. The difference was the way the head unit communicated with the amp.

The non-LUX Bose system was very similar to any normal aftermarket head unit and amp combination. The HU sent audio signal to the amp which amplified it and powered the speakers.

The LUX Bose system was completely different. A special HU sent fixed-level audio signals to the amp/signal processor along with a signal processing data across a network connection. No matter what you did with the volume, tone, balance, or other settings the head unit sent exactly the same audio signal. The various settings were sent over the separate network connection and processed in the amp. For example, when you turn up the volume at the HU, the audio signal output would not change but a message would be sent to the amp to increase the volume. The amp would process the request and increase the power sent to the speakers.

All of that is mostly just for background information - it doesn't really help with your problem. The first place to look would be the fuse panel. There should be a RADIO ACCY fuse (or something similar) that powers the amp that may be blown.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Ok thanks. Ill check that this evening and report back.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to jack your thread but had a question that I needed an answer for.

If you have a Bose system (gf has it in her Acura and her speakers are blown) can you just replace the speakers or do you have to replace the whole system? She swears she was told she has to replace everything if she wants new speakers.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

WhiteBird, I checked all the fuses in the truck. In the dash AND under the hood but to no avail. I did not find a single one that was bad. Where should I look next???
Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

anyone???
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have a bad amp. The amp in that truck should be under the center console. You can test the the output wires of the amp to see if you're getting any output and you can make sure the amplifier is being turned on at all. Also test the output of the radio it should be a small signal but they're should be something there.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 AM

My 2004 Silverado just did the same things this morning. Turned on the truck and no sound. The head unit showed that something should have been playing, Artist and Song Title but no sound. Also, no door or low gas chimes.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KevinB123
My 2004 Silverado just did the same things this morning. Turned on the truck and no sound. The head unit showed that something should have been playing, Artist and Song Title but no sound. Also, no door or low gas chimes.

Thats exactly what this one is doing. I still havnt had a chance to work on it, so the step dad has had no tunes this whole time. When we finally get a chance to work on it, ill let you know what I find.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Just wondering what the outcome of this was? This just happened to my Silverado.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Turns out it was the amp under the center console that went bad. Replaced it and problem solved.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Well, I got the console about half out and it started raining, then it was too dark so I drove it to work with it half apart. When I started driving the next morning the radio started working for about 5 seconds, then quit again. Later in the day I drove it again and the radio worked for about 10 seconds then quit again. I'm thinking that I have a short somewhere and it isn't the amp.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Could be, but could also be a short from within the amp itself. First thing I would try is locate another known good amp and swap it in there to see.
Old 12-19-2021, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by KevinB123
My 2004 silverado has same problem I think...radio acts as if it works but no sound or chimes..it's a bose system....
Old 12-19-2021, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a bose head unit if you end up needing one. From and 04 Sierra SLT I used to own, put a nav unit in it and never got rid of the original. Will have to check, but I might have the old amp too since I upgraded it.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:48 AM

Default Same issue with my truck I think I know the culprit

So my actuator door is messed up and gets quite a bit of head where the amp goes was messing up before I replaced head unit then went with aftermarket with subs the speakers will cut out I have taken the fuse out under the hood for the radio and the one for the amp put back and and would work again….sometimes but I will be replacing door speakers and an aftermarket amp should fix all issues as these Bose speakers are junk anyways

Quick Reply: Bose in '04 Silverado does not play sound