Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CL-E6NEO replacement subwoofers clipping or blown?

Old 07-06-2010, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CL-E6NEO replacement subwoofers clipping or blown?

how do i tell if my 3 month old CDT CL-E6NEO speakers are blown or clipping?

i know how sound systems work but i'm not sure how to directly tell if these blew up or if they are clipping?

i am running a sony HU and the stock amp

the front speakers (CL-E61CV) sound great and dont clip/distort at all....

i dont know why these midbass ones are doing this... i dont have the EQ boosted at all or anything..
Old 07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

The CL-E6NEO are only good for 5KHz; is there a passive low pass filter
blocking the high frequencies, or an active cross-over in the system?

If you happen to have an ohm meter you can check the coils for DC
resistance which will test for shorts/opens.

You can also wire both speakers in series for 8 ohms and test them
at low power on a home stereo system. That will rule out the amplifier
channels driving the CL-E6NEO speakers.

If you press gently on the cone, you can check the cone travel. It
should be smooth and come back to rest on it's own. Do not force
the cone too hard when pressing down or you'll damage the voice coil.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
The CL-E6NEO are only good for 5KHz; is there a passive low pass filter
blocking the high frequencies, or an active cross-over in the system?

as far as i understand it, the sailpannel speakers only receive low frequencies..

If you press gently on the cone, you can check the cone travel. It
should be smooth and come back to rest on it's own. Do not force
the cone too hard when pressing down or you'll damage the voice coil.
yeah this was the only method i knew of.. you have some good ideas with the other 2.

any other thoughts from anyone else?
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

anyone else buy these speakers and have the same problem?

i bought these in the "feb month special" deal he had going earlier this year
Old 07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

a lot of people bought that feb special... no one else has this issue?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 PM

Default Clipping

Hi, we're you able to figure out your issues with your speakers? I also purchased the CDT speakers for the sails, they seem to be clipping too. I'm just wondering if you have any tips. Thanks. l
Originally Posted by mammoth713
how do i tell if my 3 month old CDT CL-E6NEO speakers are blown or clipping?

i know how sound systems work but i'm not sure how to directly tell if these blew up or if they are clipping?

i am running a sony HU and the stock amp

the front speakers (CL-E61CV) sound great and dont clip/distort at all....

i dont know why these midbass ones are doing this... i dont have the EQ boosted at all or anything..
Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Speakers don't clip... audio sources do. If you still have the factory head unit and are turning up the volume more than halfway then you are probably experiencing the distortion and clipping from the the head unit's internal amp which is a known distortion machine.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:37 PM

Whitebird, thank you for responding. Yes, I should have mentioned that I am still using the factory head unit and amp. I purchased the speaker replacements from Kee Audio, we were not able to figure out what the issue could have been. Wouldn't the sail speaker be powered by the Amp, not the Head Unit? When swapping out the speakers, could there be something that is not right that could be causing the issue? Do you have any recommendations on what I could do to solve the issue?

You mention the Head Unit is the problem, would a new Head Unit help the issue? I am thinking I would still want to run it through the factory amp, is this possible and would I need to get all different speakers? Sorry if these are stupid questions, when I bought the speakers, I was hoping I could just replace them and be done. I really haven't been trying to turn it up all that loud, but with the t-tops off you have to some times.

thanks again!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

You are correct that the sail panel subs are powered by the Monsoon amp. But the amp merely amplifies the signal it receives from the head unit - distortion and all. So when you crank up the factory head unit, its output distortion level also increases and at some point it starts to clip as well. (Clipping is when an amplifier is pushed to output more power than it can cleanly handle so it starts to cut off (clip) the tops of the sine waves of the signal creating squared edges that are very bad for speakers). All of that malformed audio signal is sent to the Monsoon amp which dutifully amplifies it and sends it to the speakers creating the bad output you hear.

Fortunately, you can replace the head unit very easily while still retaining the Monsoon amp and the speakers you've already bought. There's lots more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You are correct that the sail panel subs are powered by the Monsoon amp. But the amp merely amplifies the signal it receives from the head unit - distortion and all. So when you crank up the factory head unit, its output distortion level also increases and at some point it starts to clip as well. (Clipping is when an amplifier is pushed to output more power than it can cleanly handle so it starts to cut off (clip) the tops of the sine waves of the signal creating squared edges that are very bad for speakers). All of that malformed audio signal is sent to the Monsoon amp which dutifully amplifies it and sends it to the speakers creating the bad output you hear.

Fortunately, you can replace the head unit very easily while still retaining the Monsoon amp and the speakers you've already bought. There's lots more information in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section.
Thanks again, I will read up!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of the problem is the CL-E6NEO is a midbass driver, not a sub. That's why I don't use those for subs. It's also a 4ohm midbass driver instead of the correct 2ohm. The lowest that midbass can hit is 70Hz which will translate some bass but not effectively which is why I don't use them in my packages at all.
Next time you might want to ask someone who is an authorized CDT dealer and knows the product line specifically for these cars.
The CDT subs I use don't distort, clip or anything else when properly installed. Even with the stock head unit.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

Guys, these are the HD-6M DVC subs on the stock Monsoon Delco radio and the stock Monsoon amp...it has the full speaker package replacement, I also put sound deadener around the subs like a gasket between the sub and the metal surface the subs mount to. If you leave gaps around any subwoofer, it will not make bass, it will just push air around the gaps.
The CL-6M Subs will also sound similar to this in Camaro versions just maybe without quite the clarity as the HD subs have different cone material. If everything is functioning properly they work. All my sound solutions for the Monsoon system perform like this as well. The higher levels can be pushed even harder. Note the EQ levels were the customers, I can push these up more but didn't bother as the music he was listening to was still pretty heavy with bass response. Hard to hear it using an iPhone though.
Have a listen:

Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

I used to use those back in 2010 because I didn't have any other solid options. So for that time period with what we had to work with they worked ok. CDT Audio has built me several options for these cars over the last several years that perform awesome over what I had available 5 years ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CL-E6NEO replacement subwoofers clipping or blown?