Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing entire Monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing entire Monsoon system

I've finally decided to get the ball rolling on a lot of the mods that I've been wanting to do for years, and replacing my Monsoon system with a reasonable speaker system paired with a carPC is at the top of the list. I've already sent a PM to Kee looking for a quote/recommendations from them but I am always looking for more info to make a balanced decision.

So, here are my goals/listening habits:
  • Reasonable volume 95% of the time, but still want to be able to turn it up when a good one comes on
  • Good sound quality
  • Proper integration - no overpowering parts, just want a well thought out system
  • Preferably one amp, but two can work
  • Stealth box & T-top area amp rack
  • No hatch speakers, I'm undecided on whether to keep the sail panels or not (opinions wanted)

Budget: ~$1000-ish for amp/sub/box/speakers however that is flexible. If I can get better quality for a couple hundred more, I'd be willing to put that into it. If I can get the same quality components for $1000 that I can get for $800, I'll go with the cheaper ones. The carPC is a separate budget and already taken care of.

Car is a 2001 WS6, if that matters. Thanks in advance for the help. I have been searching, but car audio seems to be one of those constantly evolving fields and what used to be great may be crap now, so looking for current opinions.

**PS**
Is there any benefit to relocating the tweeters from my door panel? Also, what are the inputs for the monsoon amp, does anyone know if its possible to hook a carPC up to the stock monsoon system and just remove the headunit?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Here is what I did when I removed my Monsoon system:
CDT CL-61CV 6.5" Component speakers in the front doors $150
removed sail and hatch speakers $0
Kicker ZX200.4 amplifier (rated at 121W x 2 channels @ 4 ohms) powering components $125
Subthump Stealth Box $125
10" Alpine Type R Subwoofer 4ohm DVC $110
Kicker ZX400.1 amplifier (rated at 480W @ 2 ohms) $200
4AWG wiring kit and 8AWG wiring kit with 12AWG speaker wire + various conectors $75

That comes out to about $785. I also added about 150 sq ft of RaaMat and 7 yards of ensolite closed cell foam which put me at right about $1000 for a great sounding system. If you add in the Alpine CDA-9884 head unit that is about $1200 for a complete system (everything was self installed).
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the trans am does help a little, because the speaker/door pods have a spot specifically for a tweeter. so instead of having to custom fab a spot up (cutting into the door or worse) in the camaro, its just right there. So for the fronts make sure to get components, you'll get cleaner crisper sound out of having separate woofers and tweeters. Then you could still thro some full range coax speakers in the sail panel.
Also, make sure to remove the speakers from the hatch, as it doesn't benefit the Sound Stage at all

As far as the amp, Alpine makes a good 5ch amp and so does polk, other brands make some good product too. I'm the most familar with those two, as far as the polk (1100.5)... its an 1100 watt rms, 600w sub ch at 1ohm stable (does 2 and 4oh as well, just loses power output) and the regular channels are 80w @ 4ohm or 125w at 2 ohm. (alll in RMS)
So it comes down to finding the speakers to match the amp. Just make sure to find proper RMS rated speakers and subs.
At 1100w rms you could do a 4gauge power wire and still be fine (0g isn't that fun to run, imo)
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Still interested in opinions as it will most likely be a couple weeks before I can actually place the order.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

also for a good budget 5 channel amplifier check out the Kicker 10ZX700.5 (will be rated in the 900-1000W total RMS range @ 2 ohm, which is verified by its birth sheet) and the Hifonics ZXI60+1k which will put out 750W to the sub @ 2ohms and 1000W @ 1ohm. Both 4 channel portions of the amps can be bridged to give you more than enough power to front components (200-300W x 2 @ 4 ohms). Those are the two amps I am looking at to clean up my system a bit.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

After talking with Ian myself for my WS6 I am going with his premium package and his special on 10" cdt sub. Now for amps Ian had suggested to me the Infinity Kappa Five amp you may want to check it out.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Subscribing to this. I am a newbie and am looking for something similar.