Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7" monitor - Non touchscreen for Car PC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7" monitor - Non touchscreen for Car PC?

Does anyone know of a good 7" monitor that isn't touch screen. I've been kind of kicking around the idea of a carputer and would like to start buying parts here and there. I know a non touch screen would look better and I will have some sort of a mouse like a touch pad anyway.

Also, would an 8" or possibly bigger fit in the double din bezel?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Teching In

I would strongly recommend a touch screen. I have had several Car pc's and with just a touch pad you will have a lot of trouble changing tracks, making adjustments while the car is in motion. It can be very dangerous. You can go with the Lilliput EBY-701 for fairly cheap, they are bright and there is a company that make a double din bezel for them to fit into. As far as an 8" goes it will barely fit in a double din bezel opening but you will have to keep in mind that the screen will protrude beyond the viewable area so you will have to have more room than a double din behind it.

My current car pc uses an EBY-701 and it is fantastic.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have been looking at the lilliput screens. That is really the only company I have seen that makes these kinds of screens, is there any other options. I have been thinking about the touch screen and I think it would be nice to have touch and a mouse.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont need a mouse with a touchscreen but you can do what you want thats the beauty of it check out mp3car.com im in the stages that you are in now i just picked up the notebook im gonna use saveing for other parts now
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

im in the build stage of my carpc too. the monitor is the hardest thing to decide on thus far. You go from $170 for a 7" TFT to upwards of $800. All this transflective, daylight readable blah blah stuff is over whelming. Then you gotta look at viewing angle as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

What is everyone running as far as the pc. I think I am going to stay away from the atom and go for a 65w or 45w processor. I know it doesn't need anything faster, but I have been known to go overboard on things like this. I was trying to figure out how you would connect your sound to the stock stereo harness and then I saw a post on mp3car that mentioned running to an amp. What is everyone using for there amp. Splitting a 2 channel, 2- 2 channel amps, or a 4 channel?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Banned

I have a Intel DG45FC with Intel E8500 CPU, 2GB of RAM and OCZ 120GB SSD. running a copy of XP SP3 and just installed a copy of Centrafuse.

Keep in mind, this is OVERKILL. You still need to find a way to put it in a case or good mount, and keep it cool. I am only waiting on deciding on a screen and hacking up my radio bezel.

Quick Reply: 7" monitor - Non touchscreen for Car PC?