Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauges going CRAZY!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauges going CRAZY!!!!!!!

hi guys,
i got a 2002 camaro SS and my problem is when im driving all of the sudden all of my car gauges go crazy (up and down ) and the engine starts to misfire..... then the gauges stop (while driving) and have no problems for miles...then it starts doing it again. i notice that my battery gauge went down a bit....but then it goes back to normal.

cant figure it out , but im getting my battery checked tomorrow to see if anything is wrong with it.

what kills me is that for miles it drives perfect , then it starts acting up...then back to normal...then acting up again....

any suggestions?
thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

The same thing is actually happening to mine also.jus started today also. my voltage meter jumps up to 16-17 volts..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

I had this happen with the car parked not running. Battery was pretty much dead.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

look at this , it might help

http://www.southeastcamaroz.com/showthread.php?t=2176

ive heard about this happening a few times, it might also be a loose ground or a wire shorting out
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

took the battery to autozone and they tested it , it came up as bad battery , but did show signs of life?????.

he said he would charge it , and then retest it. i have to go back in an hour and we'll see what the final verdict is.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

let me know what happens cuz my friends car is having the same problem, just happened today
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Teching In

it was the battery.
autozone recharged it , and after retesting it again , it was still bad.
he said the battery had a little life left but was going to die eventually pretty soon.

i didnt buy a battery on the spot , cause im going to look into getting an optima battery.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Autozone battery tests are pretty much inconclusive. They usually dont end up charging the battery long enough when you bring it in. This sounds like an alternator problem to me.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
The Autozone battery tests are pretty much inconclusive. They usually dont end up charging the battery long enough when you bring it in. This sounds like an alternator problem to me.
yes, i think you might be right. bought a new battery over the weekend , and its still doing the same $hit.

ill take the altenator off this week and get that tested.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Teching In

well , i finally got my altenator tested and it was good.so i guess i have a short somewhere.
does anyone know how many wires should be on the alternator plug?
i only show having one red wire on it.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the car is running the battery will charge only from the alternator , u can pull the battery off and the car will still running ... seems u have some issues with grounds or bad wires , first to do check for all grounds in the engine bay then start checking for the cable that goining from battery to alternaor and starter step by step maybe some wires are damaged and let us know .
Old 09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

thanks, i havnt been able to work on it with all this rain in houston.
hopefully by next weekend i can find the problem...if not , im taking it to an electrician.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

check this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...lternator.html
Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

i had the exact same problem with my 95 K1500. gauges would start going nuts like they were possessed and the engine would sputter and miss like crazy. it took me awhile to figure out but it was just the main ground to the motor was a little corroded. i would try that cuz its a simple fix. it also caused the truck to not want to start sometimes and it melted the ground wire that led to the horn because that was the closest wire that completed the circuit when power went to the starter. hope this helps you out.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28M6TT
i had the exact same problem with my 95 K1500. gauges would start going nuts like they were possessed and the engine would sputter and miss like crazy. it took me awhile to figure out but it was just the main ground to the motor was a little corroded. i would try that cuz its a simple fix. it also caused the truck to not want to start sometimes and it melted the ground wire that led to the horn because that was the closest wire that completed the circuit when power went to the starter. hope this helps you out.
+1 , grounds are the important things if any ground not tight as well may CAUSE some electrical issues

Last edited by PONTIAC SLP; 09-11-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
ive been lucky with the autozone near me, they require we leave the battery with them to charge overnight, then test. my battery died just a month ago.
105+ outside, completely boxed in, so had to push it out of the parking spot to get it to a point where i could get jumped, which still didn't work, had just broke my finger, so couldn't steer the wheel, my dad had to. so, i'm pushing this car with a cast down the parkin lot, probably looked funny with my dad steering. only cool thing with it was the gauge sweep.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ReySS
thanks, i havnt been able to work on it with all this rain in houston.
hopefully by next weekend i can find the problem...if not , im taking it to an electrician.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead..... But my car is doing the same exact thing. What was the verdict?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:18 PM

Default Dash Going Haywire, And NO KEYS In The Ignition!

Would love to find out what other's issues was. I see one guy just had a battery issue.

Today, my 98 Firebird went haywire.
This morning it was fine. "Check Gauge" light is on and speedometer, gas gauge and rpm and ticking between zero and other values.
Sometimes my headlight control module ticks uncontrollably. Or some relay under my glove compartment clicks uncontrollably.
Pulling fuses changes the frequency of the clicks but doens't stop them.
I went and got a new battery, and the dash stopped going crazy for a while, but when attempting to turn on the car, nothing.
Then later I try again, and the dash is going crazy, even WITHOUT the keys in the ignition.
When I put a continuity tester between ground and ground wire, light turns on. With multimeter, I'm reading virtually zero resistance so I'm thinking I either have a fried wire, or the computer is fried and short circuiting.

Anyone else have any thoughts or similar craziness going on?

Quick Reply: Gauges going CRAZY!!!!!!!