Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Banging my head against a wall on my stereo..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Banging my head against a wall on my stereo..

I'm having some odd problems with my 01's radio. When I got it only the front two speakers would work. Looked and the back two were unplugged, when I plugged them in, still nothing. Oh well, no big deal. Then it started only one speaker at a time upfront would work, and if you hit a bump it would change sides or go out completely. Hit a bump and it may come back on.

I unwired the radio and put it back very well (I have an electronics background) and same problem. Swapped the head unit with another JVC i have and still the same problem. Harness looks good and all speakers are wired tight. Is there something I'm missing? My car is a stripper but I'd atleast like to keep the radio.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know for sure but sounds like the same problem I have with the stock radio while playing cd's. I am guessing since radio has been changed it would be a short in the wiring along the way. Is this factory wiring for the speakers?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well we need to start with..... do you have a Monsoon system, meaning do you have an amp back by the spare tire? If you do you need to check the power going to the amp for each speaker and coming out of the amp. This would be a good start.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Well we need to start with..... do you have a Monsoon system, meaning do you have an amp back by the spare tire? If you do you need to check the power going to the amp for each speaker and coming out of the amp. This would be a good start.

I was going to say maybe the amp got somewhat damaged? happened to my friend, I guess water/condensation got back there and only the rear speakers worked?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I do have a Monsoon system. Put a new amp from a 98 Camaro into it today to test it with no luck. When you plug the amp in or unplug it with the radio powered you can here a pop at the speakers, just like when you power up speakers.