Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double DIN head unit, which one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Double DIN head unit, which one!

I currently have an x991, and the sound is immaculate - clean, very tunable, 5v pre-outs, and basically everything that is needed to make high quality components sound even better.

What are some double DIN systems that have the sound capabilities of the x991 while adding a hard drive interface that is clear and easy to use. Bluetooth would be nice, but not vital. No need for navigation.
Capability to handle apple lossless, or something similar needed too.

So...
What do you suggest?

Last edited by transsam; 09-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a tall order. The only HU I know of doing apple lossless is the Pioneer DEX-P99RS and that is only Single Din. As far a good double din that comes close, the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT is a good choice. iPod, SD, and usb support (MP3,WAV,AAC), Bluetooth, 6 channel 4v preamps, even rear camera input.
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/avhp3200bt.htm
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Some of the Kenwood double-DIN units support WAV as a common lossless format.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

I can't believe I am going to ask this, but would how different are 320 aac and WAV? The car is quiet inside, and I spent a chunk of time and money making it that way. While Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, R.H.C.P., etc. still are a huge part of my library, this sound system is being built for the likes of Bizet's L'arlsienne, Dvorak's New World Symphony, Grainger's Lincolnshire Posy, and the like.
I am worried about losing the quality, and I don't want to go back to CDs.
So...320 aac vs WAV, should I hold out for a WAV compatible unit? I have a 320gb low draw hard drive, so the WAV's size shouldn't be a problem.
Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

WAV is a lossless uncompressed format - it records every bit of digital information available from the source. AAC is a lossy compression that is supposed to be the successor to the MP3 format. AAC is considered transparent at 120Kbps (whereas MP3 isn't transparent until 192Kbps) so you should not be able to hear any difference between a WAV and an AAC at 320Kbps. In fact, going to 320Kbps is probably just wasting space since you won't be able to hear the difference but you're giving up a significant amount of compression.

Some people swear they can tell the difference between a lossless format (WAV or ALAC) and even a high bitrate compressed file but they are just fooling themselves - especially in a car. I've tried it with some studio musician friends (they have very good ears for music) and they could not tell the difference even when using very high quality headphones.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks to both of you!
I really like the looks and features available on the model up from the 3200, the Pioneer P4200DVD. Looks sleek and the sound attributes look good on paper. I think I'm sold!
Thanks again guys.