Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help quick!Sound Quality with USB question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help quick!Sound Quality with USB question

I am buying a CD player and really wanting one with a USB in the front so I can load mp3's on a thumbdrive and play music without having to mess with CD's.
I have the Pioneer DEH2200UB picked out since its $109 at crutchfield with all the installation gear. I have had multiple pioneer HU's and never had one single problem with them. My main question is= Is there a difference in sound quality between burnt CD's and just playing music from the thumbdrive?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Depends on the quality of the files on the thumb drive. A 128 bitrate mp3 won't sound as good as a CD whereas as 384 bitrate mp3 will. There are a few others in between too where you probably won't notice any difference (192, 256). Also there are other audio formats like Ogg Vorbis, AAC, FLAC.... etc. Which can offer better sound quality.

So, its really difficult to answer your question accuratly other than to say that it all depends on the quality of the files on your thumb drive.

If you are really that concerned about sound quality, you'll probably want to use a loss-less audio compression format with a high quality setting.

For me, I'm not that concerned and I just stick with mp3 (128 or 192 to save space, but 256 or 384 for better sound quality... i usually go for 192).
Old 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

128 doesnt sound too great, 192 is a drastic improvement. If you download, try getting files that are -V0, which are mid 200's - to me (im deaf in my left ear), they sound like CD quality.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to add, that ogg and flac are great, but a lot of mp3 players will not play them (where like all mp3 players should play a mid 200 bitrate file)
if you're ripping cd's, and want cd quality, you can archive in FLAC, and then trans code to whatever bitrate mp3 you want for your thumbdrive.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so basically with a decent bitrate the usb is definetly worth having. its $40 cheaper w/o the usb, but the usb just seems like it will be so much handier. more songs, ease of switching music w/o having to make a new cd. im gonna pull the trigger on it. thanks for the help guys

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 09-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

VIP1... I think you meant 320Kbps rather than 384. The MP3 standard doesn't include any bitrates higher than 320Kbps - although there are some encoders that can create higher rates, there aren't many (if any) players that will play them.

In a car, 192Kbps encoding will be transparent - you will not be able to distinguish it from the original source. If you want even better quality with similar compression, using VBR V2 (variable bit rate) encoding in your MP3 will give you up to 210Kbps without increasing file size.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the usb is deff worth the extra money
Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IMO the usb is deff worth the extra money
Yeah the extra cost will far outweigh the ease of use and not messing with cd's anymore. I can't count how many times I made a cd and forgot one song or heard a new song I wanted the next day. With new speakers and the CD player and my sub and amp compared to the complete **** setup I have right now(no cd player, speaker quality godawful/crackling muffled etc.. I am just gonna be beyond enjoying my car. I will post some pics and stuff when I get it all put together. I am on a budget so hopefully nobody laughs at my ****. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
VIP1... I think you meant 320Kbps rather than 384. The MP3 standard doesn't include any bitrates higher than 320Kbps - although there are some encoders that can create higher rates, there aren't many (if any) players that will play them.
I was doing some video editing recently and probably pulled that number from the audio bitrate on one of the screens there instead, sorry (it was a sea of settings).

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
In a car, 192Kbps encoding will be transparent - you will not be able to distinguish it from the original source. If you want even better quality with similar compression, using VBR V2 (variable bit rate) encoding in your MP3 will give you up to 210Kbps without increasing file size.
I would recommend against VBR. Sure you can spike a higher bitrate and keep a smaller file, but some players act funny and can even skip the song or give up part way through.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I would recommend against VBR. Sure you can spike a higher bitrate and keep a smaller file, but some players act funny and can even skip the song or give up part way through.
Yup. It's odd how my $50 Sansa MP3 player can handle VBR without any problems yet my $1000 Kenwood in the car sometimes chokes on them. But it's a couple of years old (a lifetime in electronics) so I was thinking maybe newer decks would handle it better.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't used CD's in years since I got my USB HU. I just play all my songs off a 4GB thumb drive. Sounds good (as good as it can on a stock Monsoon system).
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I haven't used CD's in years since I got my USB HU. I just play all my songs off a 4GB thumb drive. Sounds good (as good as it can on a stock Monsoon system).
More good news. Glad to hear it, I'll get some pics up of everything I am putting in once I get it all.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
i dont have the monsoon anymore but i got a pioneer hu whit the usb a few years back (its a carry over from my last bird) and i dont use cds any more the usb is so much less to carry around its safer to change songs and drive and good mp3s (192-320) are hard to tell the diff from a wave file
the down side is the hu i have doesnt play wave only mp3 from the usb