Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

keeping the stock look but not the sound (HELP ME)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping the stock look but not the sound (HELP ME)

ok so im keeping the original look on my car besides the fact that my stereo got stolen when i was deployed.....

well anyways i got an extra stereo for my bird but its casset its better i can play my mp3 now sweet well was wondering what do i need to make this sound nice want to keep stock stereo and the speakers to upgrade them to have a good sound and no need to put a sub in the back and take up space from my bottle
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Um, I'm guessing your referring to using one of those casset to MP3 adapters? If so, throw that crap away. You could put the best speakers in the world in it and it still won't sound good cause you'll lose ALL sound quality. Use a CD headunit and do the Novak mod, or perhaps if you have a iPod or iPhone, use the iSimple kit.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All cassette head units support the external CD changer which means they also support auxiliary input adapters such as the GM9-AUX. This will provide an easy way to connect your MP3 player with the best possible sound quality.

Cassette adapters aren't that bad but they lose a lot in the higher frequencies because the tape heads weren't designed for that much dynamic range (it wasn't necessary because cassette tapes couldn't record a large dynamic range). They are definitely better than FM modulators but not as good as direct connection adapters.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

+1 for Novak Mod. I think someone used the FM input now too so they don't even need to have a CD spinning for it to work.