Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

what size/ how many subs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what size/ how many subs?

Hi, I am redoing my sound system, or atleast plan to, and i'm trying to figure out how many subs, and what size. I listen to metal music, with double pedal bass. I was thinking 2 10" subs, but I want to make sure i'm getting the right type. the distinction is more important than the thump'ability' of them.

Edit: I am on a budget. trying to get the best thump for my buck.

Last edited by battousai; 09-18-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by battousai
Hi, I am redoing my sound system, or atleast plan to, and i'm trying to figure out how many subs, and what size. I listen to metal music, with double pedal bass. I was thinking 2 10" subs, but I want to make sure i'm getting the right type. the distinction is more important than the thump'ability' of them.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...es-inside.html

I wanted one of these, but I couldn't get it due to my budget.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...es-inside.html

I wanted one of these, but I couldn't get it due to my budget.
yeah, forgot to say that i'm on a budget. I was looking at two of http://www.sparksai.com/RE-Audio-REX...%2010%20d4.htm but I want to make sure that they would perform as i want
Old 09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

I built a box in place of my rear seats, put 2 10's back there with a single 300 watt amp and it sounds fantastic with rock, or any type of music.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

One thing to keep in mind with the REX woofers is that they don't like a lot of airspace. The enclosures that fit in the hatch well area might actually be a bit large for them. The Atrend dual 10" box will work well though if you port them and tune them to 35hz. Otherwise stealth enclosures would be the way to go for a integrated look but will be more expensive.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparksAI
One thing to keep in mind with the REX woofers is that they don't like a lot of airspace. The enclosures that fit in the hatch well area might actually be a bit large for them. The Atrend dual 10" box will work well though if you port them and tune them to 35hz. Otherwise stealth enclosures would be the way to go for a integrated look but will be more expensive.
you are the one that suggested that sub to me, with the Atrend box, lol.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah sorry i go through a ton of PM's and that was a little over a week ago. I recommended the combination because of your budget constraints with still having a usable hatch area. I still think it is the best way to go for your budget and will sound good in the sealed enclosure, but if you don't mind putting the time in to port and tune the enclosure you are going to get even more out of it.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah sorry i go through a ton of PM's and that was a little over a week ago. I recommended the combination because of your budget constraints with still having a usable hatch area. I still think it is the best way to go for your budget and will sound good in the sealed enclosure, but if you don't mind putting the time in to port and tune the enclosure you are going to get even more out of it.
Pm sent.... again lol
Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM
FormerVendor

To keep anyone that is reading along up on the topic, we figured out what kid of port would be needed if he was to port the enclosure and I also let him know that he can polyfill or stuff the enclosure which will effectively shrink the enclosure. I have seen people shove tons of insulation in a box just because they thought it would make the woofer sound better but please don't do that folks, you are really just trying to match the woofer to the enclosure size it wants. If you just start stuffing without a care in the workd you might make the enclosure too small and choke the sub.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

To keep anyone that is reading along up on the topic, we figured out what kid of port would be needed if he was to port the enclosure and I also let him know that he can polyfill or stuff the enclosure which will effectively shrink the enclosure. I have seen people shove tons of insulation in a box just because they thought it would make the woofer sound better but please don't do that folks, you are really just trying to match the woofer to the enclosure size it wants. If you just start stuffing without a care in the workd you might make the enclosure too small and choke the sub.
You might need to clarify yourself on the polyfill bit. You use polyfill when you have an enclosure that's too small and you want to "trick" the subwoofer into acting like it's in a bigger box. It doesn't make the enclosure act smaller.

That's how I understand it, at least.

Last edited by gta3uzi; 09-21-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

I'll expand on that a bit, I call it polyfill because it is like calling a tissue, kleenex. When using standard household insulation you can use it as you said to make the speaker box appear larger to the sub. This is not an exact science and you might have to play with it for a bit to get the right sound. But if you flip it over and go paper side up you can acctually use it reduce the air space in the box, just make sure to tape up around the edges. This can also be done with wood or styrofoam. There are a lot of ways to adjust a box to your usage. Warning though Insulation is exactly that and it likes to trap heat, keep it away from any vents on your sub and try not to use too much or you may overheat the coil and blow the sub. I have seen this happen more than once.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

If he listens to a majority of rock music a sealed enclosure would be better then a ported. A lot cleaner hit and doesn't need a lot of room.