Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Volume Knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Volume ****

On the stock 98-02 Firebird Monsson systems, anyone had problems with the volume **** not working properly? Mine adjusts the volume randomly when I turn it, and I have to use the steering wheel controls.
Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, this is common. I took apart one of these switches and the contacts had a bunch of crap on them, causing the problem.

Another poster here had some good success by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft of the ****. (Turn the **** as you do this and repeat until it hopefully gets better.)

If you go this route, please post back and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah mine did the same thing. If I turned it up it would go down and vice versa. I didn't care b/c I had the steering wheel controls. Also seen a grand prix and a grand am that did the same thing. Its one of those common GM things.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yea, this is common. I took apart one of these switches and the contacts had a bunch of crap on them, causing the problem.

Another poster here had some good success by spraying electrical contact cleaner down the shaft of the ****. (Turn the **** as you do this and repeat until it hopefully gets better.)

If you go this route, please post back and let us know how it goes.
+1. I also have this problem. My parents Grand Am has it as well. If it works let me know. That way I can fix 2 volume *****!

Quick Reply: Monsoon Volume Knob