Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

buy a new headlight switch??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy a new headlight switch??

i've been fighting with my headlights for about 2 years. my last option (before completing re-wiring them to an additional swithc) is to replace the headlight switch module.

does anybody know if anyone sells a new one? i found several used ones on ebay, but i don't want the same problem to keep happening.

for those that care; the problem:

driver's side light is f'd up! sometimes it won't go up....sometimes it won't go down. i've put in a new headlight motor, which was ok for a while, then it started again. i had a buddy help me trace the problem (to our best knowledge) to the wire harness at the switch. At the time, it wouldn't go down. when we tried, we found no power going to the "down" wire. That wire was a little loose, so we glued it in place.
That worked for a couple monts, then it started again. I took the dash apart again, re-glued it, but it didn't fix it.
Now, it won't go up all the time. Sometimes it goes up, but no down...sometimes it doesn't go up, but then down...etc, etc, etc....

it's driving me crazy!!! my wife needs to use it (because i need to drive the truck for some work coming up) but i don't want her to have to get out and manually crank them up/down or possibly get a ticket.

i don't know if the switch could be the problem, but it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Autozone. It's not the entire assembly (dimmer, etc), just the headlight switch.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Something's wrong here. The headlight switch has no direct effect on the headlight doors. There is no UP or DOWN wire at the headlight switch and there certainly aren't separate ones for left and right. If your right headlight is working then the switch is not the problem because both sides are fed by the same wire.

The headlight switch gets power from the battery through a fusible link and, when turned on, feeds it out to the low beam headlights and to the high beam switch. It also sends power to the headlight door actuator module under the hood which in turn raises the headlights.

If your lights are turning on but one side doesn't raise/lower properly then the problem is with the headlight door actuator module, the door motor, or the wiring between them. It is nowhere near the headlight switch in the dash.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

we traced the problem to a bad wire connection at the harness that plugs into the switch. it's been "fixed" twice. i got another harness from a camaro and noticed the same little "loose-ness" on it to, so i didn't put it in.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

it has a brand new headlight motor in it.