Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

never have best buy install

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default never have best buy install

so i got a new deck and a little sub for my ss, and for some reason my dad payed best buy in advance to get everything installed there. and right when i get my car back my tach doesnt work, the next day my car just wreaks of burning plastic. of course they 'dont have time' to get me in for the fix. me and my friends couldnt seem to figure out the problem. a day or two later we were trying to figure out where i have bad wiring which is the reason for my SES light and 6 codes that are wrong. no luck finding that, but then we noticed that the main power wire best buy installed was completely melted to my header. so we immediately went to best buy and they took what was left of the wire off, but still didnt have time to re-wire it. if i had brand new long tubes on i wouldve been a little more mad. now whenever i drive my car for more then a half hour, it still stinks of burning because of where the plastic pieces are still stuck to my header where i cant reach.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

What about your tach? Does it work now. Is it still throwing the codes? Stuff like that is where i would go to jail. They WOULD fix it right then or else, if it were me. At least you kept your cool.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Clean that stuff off. If you can smell it like that, you are probably breathing in some bad stuff. A class of plastics, chlorinated plastics, releases dioxin when burned. Dioxin is the most potent synthetic carcinogen, that mankind has ever discovered. Needless to say, many other types of plastic are not so great to burn and inhale either. Wire insulation could be PTFE, FEP, etc. These kinds of flourine and chlorine based plastics are seriously bad when burned.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

yes my tach randomly started working a day or two later, and when i told them about it they said theres no possible way they did it because the wires are completely different and arent even close. but i did try to clean it off after i got home that day, its just extremely hard to reach with any tool.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Staging Lane

Do you have a Dremel or other rotary tool? You can get a flexible shaft attachment, it has a very low profile. I believe it when you suggest that it's impractical/impossible. I just imagine you smelling that smell for the next year (depending on the type of plastic, it could take a long time to fully burn off).
What this all adds up to, at least in my opinion, is that you should at the very least threaten to take them to small claims court, if you are certain they are responsible, and they refuse to correct the situation. You would be entirely justified in doing so, in my opinion, 'ethically'; legally I have no idea, but I have seen several episodes of Law & Order.

Edit: You can look on the insulation, it should say the name of the material. Now, enter into Google, two search terms at once, the insulation material (likely a 2-4 letter acronym), and the letters 'MSDS'. Now print out that sheet, and start rattling off what you find in there. Believe me they will become a lot more reasonable (in this fantasy of mine). Of course I would only suggest this if they are truly responsible; but if that's the case, stand up for yourself.

I only mention it, because I would be pissed.

Last edited by JBarron; 09-27-2010 at 04:11 AM.